Raheem Sterling - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
[VIRTUE SIGNALLING] I like Sterling and rate him higher than most media outlets appear to [/VIRTUE SIGNALLING] but to be fair, last season was a bit of an anomaly goal-wise for him, whereas Rashford was playing sporadically in that awful, defensive Mourinho team. If you look at the last three seasons, Rashford has consistently scored at about a goal every 255 minutes. Sterling is at a goal every 228 minutes, but his numbers have dramatically improved from 344 minutes a goal from 2015-2017 to 144 minutes a goal last season.

So, the bottom line is that Rashford had a much better scoring rate in 2015-16 and 2016-17, but Sterling's was much better last season. The more interesting question is whether Sterling will revert to his previous numbers this year, or if he's genuinely moved up a level in terms of his goal production (and Sunday suggests the latter).
The VS made me Lol :)

How many games did Rashford play? How many chances did he create, miss? Assists? Key plays?
Short Answer: 48 games (assuming 90 minutes a game). I don't know the other stats. (if that's sufficient, there's no need to read on...)

Long Answer: I was replying to a specific comparison about goals last season, which didn't make any mention of game time or the other stats you mention, and for my own information, I was interested in how many minutes they'd both played so I could get a better idea of their strike rates (goal numbers don't mean that much on their own). Having watched pretty much every game, I was aware that Sterling's goal production had gone up a lot last season, so I was interested to see what it was before, and then looked up Rashford's for comparison. The numbers were interesting, so I posted them. That took enough time, so I didn't bother looking up the other metrics (and I was also doing some research to counter a Dipper fan in The Guardian comments section who seemed proud that they had sold more players for 50+ million than anyone else - like that's something to be proud of - and it's not true anyway as Chelsea have also sold three).

How many games did Rashford play? How many chances did he create, miss? Assists? Key plays?
Okay, you made me curious, so I did some more research :-)

I think chances created and assists can be summed up best with the xA stat (expected assists). This means you get credit for creating an opportunity for someone else to score, even if they miss the chance, and you get more credit for some assists than others (for example, a 5 yard sideways pass 30 yards out that someone else slams into the top corner isn't really the same as a perfect through ball that creates an open goal tap in). Over the last three seasons, Sterling has one xA every 400 minutes, whereas Rashford has one xA every 600 minutes. Last season Sterling was one xA every 300 minutes and Rashford was one xA every 400 minutes.

xG (expected goals) is a reasonable measure of misses, since it gives the difference between how many goals an 'average' player would score from every shooting position, and how many a particular player scored - so if you miss more chances than average, you score less than expected and your goals tally is less than your xG. Over the last three seasons, Sterling is 3 goals below his xG, meaning an 'average' striker would have scored 3 more from exactly the same shooting positions (so he's scored 91% of the goals he 'should' have). Rashford is 2 and a bit goals above his xG (he's score 15% more goals than he 'should' have). If you just look at last season, Sterling was a little better, but still only scored 96% of the goals he should have, whereas Rashford again exceeded the average, scoring 9% more goals than he should have.

The last stat you asked about was key passes. Sterling has had a higher number of key passes per 90 minutes in each of the last three years (1.91 to 1.10 last season, 1.64 to 1.07 in 16-17 and 1.62 to 0.62 in 15-16).

So whether you consider just last season or the last three, Sterling is better in the combination of chances created/assists and also makes more key passes, but Rashford is the better finisher (or you can draw your own conclusions based on any number of mitigating factors either way).

(all data came from understat.com)

Last edited:
Okay, you made me curious, so I did some more research :-)

I think chances created and assists can be summed up best with the xA stat (expected assists). This means you get credit for creating an opportunity for someone else to score, even if they miss the chance, and you get more credit for some assists than others (for example, a 5 yard sideways pass 30 yards out that someone else slams into the top corner isn't really the same as a perfect through ball that creates an open goal tap in). Over the last three seasons, Sterling has one xA every 400 minutes, whereas Rashford has one xA every 600 minutes. Last season Sterling was one xA every 300 minutes and Rashford was one xA every 400 minutes.

xG (expected goals) is a reasonable measure of misses, since it gives the difference between how many goals an 'average' player would score from every shooting position, and how many a particular player scored - so if you miss more chances than average, you score less than expected and your goals tally is less than your xG. Over the last three seasons, Sterling is 3 goals below his xG, meaning an 'average' striker would have scored 3 more from exactly the same shooting positions (so he's scored 91% of the goals he 'should' have). Rashford is 2 and a bit goals above his xG (he's score 15% more goals than he 'should' have). If you just look at last season, Sterling was a little better, but still only scored 96% of the goals he should have, whereas Rashford again exceeded the average, scoring 9% more goals than he should have.

The last stat you asked about was key plays. Sterling has had a higher number of key plays per 90 minutes in each of the last three years (1.91 to 1.10 last season, 1.64 to 1.07 in 16-17 and 1.62 to 0.62 in 15-16).

So whether you consider just last season or the last three, Sterling is better in the combination of chances created/assists and also makes more key passes, but Rashford is the better finisher (or you can draw your own conclusions based on any number of mitigating factors either way).

(all data came from understat.com)
Well researched pal! :)

Also, thanks mods, you know why :)

Last edited:
It was Gerard the liverpool legend who said Sterling needs to score more . he said that after Sterling had smashed his records at liverpool

Apart from that great shot in the first half , what else did he do today? Seemed largely anonymous for a player that wants parity with KDB/ Aguero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.