#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn’t look like he couldn’t play on the left when he was getting to the byline to put De Bruyne’s goal on a plate for him.

He also has an almost identical goals-per-minute ratio to Agüero in Champions League knockout football (both of whom have much worse ratios than Jesus, by the way).

He missed an awful sitter. Agüero missed a penalty against Spurs. Just about all players miss big chances sometimes.

There are more where that came from of supposed top class players missing these kind of chances. Now make no mistake that was inexcusable last night and given the circumstances even more shocking. He will be replaying that in his mind until the the next game and despite an otherwise good personal season this will be all everyone will remember about it.

But these kinds of posts claiming he is not a big game player, isn't world class or worse sane would be preferred are just laughable. It's like some have short memories and forgotten it was sterling(along with a few) who mainly stepped up and played a key role towards the business end of the 'fourmidables' season when sane run out of favour and de bruyne was mostly injured.

Or that he has been one of the few standout performers including yesterday prior to his miss in these knockout games where the team has faltered due to both pep overthinking and getting in the teams' way as well as the defence going to crap. Especially in the tottenham and monaco ties where he scored or assisted 5 of the 10 goals but the team still got knocked out because the defence managed to concede 10.

I thought he had moved on and ironed these kind of misses out of his game after the burnley one and how he bounces back from this one like he did that will define the next part of his career as he enters his peak. It can either spur him on and take him to the next level or drain his confidence and have him revert to overthinking every chance he gets going forward. And while I think a brain fart like that is always possible amongst even the best players, the circumstances and frequency of it can have a negative impact on a player, hopefully its the opposite for him as this is already a top class player who can truly help fire the team to many more trophies. All things considered he is the least of the teams worries.

Whilst he still has these misses in him, he shouldn't be considered WC imo.

Whilst he still has these misses in him, he shouldn't be considered WC imo.

Raheem has a high work rate, great positioning and off the ball movment, and the thing is imho that more often this makes him "the man on the spot" to finish it off. If you find yourself in the right position at the right time due to youre skill it's more likely to miss more besides scoring more which he does too. Having looked again at that moment, Raheem also arguably gets a bit blamed for atleast trying.

Anyone can miss, it happens. He’s a bit more prone to it than most. We just rely on him too much. He really needs to be our third best scorer among the attacking 3 but he’s being asked to be 1st or 2nd based on Agueros availability.

Aguero has never been durable and won’t get more durable now. If we had a really clinical striker and more clinical than Raheem other winger we could better survive his random bad finishes because of all the threat he carries.

Like many, I’m completely baffled that we went away from and eventually lost the Sane/Sterling wing partnerships. Sterling just isn’t good enough on his left to play the left and we carried much more threat when he and Sane ran their defenders to the end line and turned the back line. It feels like we have spent an eternity buying players to move away from that while only getting worse

I think what he is prone to is the fact that his misses are highlighted far more than any other footballer in the PL. Our cycling group of four 'seniors' includes one Sky sub viewer who cannot join a conversation about a game without mentioning some aspect of Raheem's game that ended unsatisfactorily. I asked him how many goals Raheem had scored - he didn't know. I asked him how many assists he had provided - he didn't know. And this just about sums up the whole approach to Sterling. Did the lad ever have his 'misses' chalked up at CoachWreckersFC? And the one glaring, howling miss that sticks in my mind is not one of Sterling's, but one of Aguero's. The CFC game where we netted four inside half an hour - before he did score he side-footed one wide with open net about two feet from the goal line. Every striker misses, some of which they themselves will never understand, but only one striker has them chalked up.

Raheem has a high work rate, great positioning and off the ball movment, and the thing is imho that more often this makes him "the man on the spot" to finish it off. If you find yourself in the right position at the right time due to youre skill it's more likely to miss more besides scoring more which he does too. Having looked again at that moment, Raheem also arguably gets a bit blamed for atleast trying.
It's the way he misses these sitters that's alarming. The miss against Lyon, was unforgiveable.

No different to how Aguero or DeBruyne missed against Chelsea in recent seasons.

It's inexcusable, not unforgiveable.
You could count on one finger how often Kun and Kev miss sitters as bad as that. Sadly, Sterling has quite a few to his name and they stand out as they are mostly spectacular.

I want to see him eradicate those fuk ups and, when we think he has overcome it, up pops another.

That is why I wouldn't put Sterling in the WC bracket

You could count on one finger how often Kun and Kev miss sitters as bad as that. Sadly, Sterling has quite a few to his name and they stand out as they are mostly spectacular.

I want to see him eradicate those fuk ups and, when we think he has overcome it, up pops another.

That is why I wouldn't put Sterling in the WC bracket

The Burnley one, what other open goal misses are there?

The Burnley one, what other open goal misses are there?
There was a contentious one against Liverpool (I think in the League Cup final), but I'm pretty sure he was fouled and it went amiss.

But I reckon if you took a percentage of tap in success rate it'd compare favourably. I think him having so many means that statistically a couple more are likely, as bad as they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.