#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attacked on the outside of their full back more than he has since Spurs at home, yesterday. Much better to see.

Having Mendy and David Silva working with him in that side helped a great deal as opposed to Zinchenko and Gundogan as he’s had previously.

Some bobbins shooting from him, his left foot needs a great deal of work when shooting and crossing, but that assist for David was sublime!

I might talk from wherever but he is not great finisher. When I was talking about number of goals, I was talking about the league. His movement is, if not best, then one of the best in the World and he puts himself in some great position to score easy goals, but his finishing isn't great. Unfortunately. If he was better striker of the ball with either legs and specially with left one, he'd score most in the league with this team and be up there for Ballon d'Or each year. Sterling is a weapon, unplayable at times, but he still lacks that brutal striker's finishing.

People still bang on about this, but he doesn’t fluff his lines any more than the so called “elite” finishers.

Some bobbins shooting from him, his left foot needs a great deal of work when shooting and crossing, but that assist for David was sublime!

I don’t get the fascination / obsession about sterling’s weaker left foot. Why don’t people go on about Silva, sane and bernardo right foot? Those three always cut in on their left and not a word said. Maybe sterling should do the same?

I don’t know why people have it in for Sterling. It’s madness

I don’t get the fascination / obsession about sterling’s weaker left foot. Why don’t people go on about Silva, sane and bernardo right foot? Those three always cut in on their left and not a word said. Maybe sterling should do the same?

I don’t know why people have it in for Sterling. It’s madness
Nobody has it in for him. I couldn’t be more behind the lad as a City player in general. But it’s good to have conversations on players’ weak points and areas for improvement. These aren’t criticisms, they’re just observations and interesting talking points.

Fans (of all teams) get far too wrapped up and paranoid about anything negative said about their players.

There’s still a few things Raz needs to improve on.

One is his left foot shooting if he chooses to shoot with his left. He snatched at one shot, not a particularly difficult one for a top player, and it skewed wide in the second half; and hit one shot out for a throw-in when running into the box at goal.

You’re right about others not having two feet. Messi is arguably the greatest player ever and he doesn’t really have a right foot. But how often do you see him shooting with it? He scored 80% of all his goals with his left foot and if you take into account headers and torso he’s only scored 12.5% of his goals with his right foot. And even that doesn’t show his tendency to use his left over his right (as in, all of his right foot goals could be tap-ins).

But Sterling isn’t the only one at City by any stretch. We miss a criminal amount of chances as a team. We create enough clear cut chances to score 5 in every single game. Some teams only have that many shots in total in many games.

As a whole team we need to become more clinical and ruthless in front of goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has it in for him. I couldn’t be more behind the lad as a City player in general. But it’s good to have conversations on players’ weak points and areas for improvement. These aren’t criticisms, they’re just observations and interesting talking points.

Fans (of all teams) get far too wrapped up and paranoid about anything negative said about their players.

There’s still a few things Raz needs to improve on.

One is his left foot shooting if he chooses to shoot with his left. He snatched at one shot, not a particularly difficult one for a top player, and it skewed wide in the second half; and hit one shot out for a throw-in when running into the box at goal.

You’re right about others not having two feet. Messi is arguably the greatest player ever and he doesn’t really have a right foot. But how often do you see him shooting with it? He scored 80% of all his goals with his left foot and if you take into account headers and torso he’s only scored 12.5% of his goals with his right foot. And even that doesn’t show his tendency to use his left over his right (as in, all of his right foot goals could be tap-ins).

But Sterling isn’t the only one at City by any stretch. We miss a criminal amount of chances as a team. We create enough clear cut chances to score 5 in every single game. Some teams only have that many shots in total in many games.

As a whole team we need to become more clinical and ruthless in front of goal.

I may be way out of line but I’d hazard a guess that a large part of the discussion about sterling’s ability have to do with the weakness of his left foot and id bet that there isn’t volume of critique on the bernardo, sane and Silva threads about how weak their right foot is.
My point is that the country is obsessed with Raheem’s left foot - he’s a predominantly right footed player, give the lad a break about his left foot! I’m sure he practices ten times more on his weak foot than the other three I mention earlier practise with theirs.

i won’t go on, I’ve made my point, but seriously, this obsession with his left foot seems to me like people have got it in for him (City fans less than most). Does it stem from the national press? Or his price tag? Or maybe he’s a victim of his own success but sterling’s left foot has become a real cliche and as City fans we should enjoy his strengths rather than whinge about him shanking one or two tricky chances on his left

I may be way out of line but I’d hazard a guess that a large part of the discussion about sterling’s ability have to do with the weakness of his left foot and id bet that there isn’t volume of critique on the bernardo, sane and Silva threads about how weak their right foot is.
My point is that the country is obsessed with Raheem’s left foot - he’s a predominantly right footed player, give the lad a break about his left foot! I’m sure he practices ten times more on his weak foot than the other three I mention earlier practise with theirs.

i won’t go on, I’ve made my point, but seriously, this obsession with his left foot seems to me like people have got it in for him (City fans less than most). Does it stem from the national press? Or his price tag? Or maybe he’s a victim of his own success but sterling’s left foot has become a real cliche and as City fans we should enjoy his strengths rather than whinge about him shanking one or two tricky chances on his left
For years an observation about David Silva was his shooting. I think we’ve all said at some point “if his shooting was better and he scored more he’d be the best player in the world” at some point in the nine years he’s been with us.

There was a spell when he didn’t seem confident with his shooting and in one game (can’t remember which now) he passed up a glaring chance to pass instead and misplaced the pass, I’ve never heard a stadium cry “SHOOT FOR FUCK’S SAKE” at a player that loud before.

I get what you’re saying, but I find the discussions on where players can improve interesting. And the more we all notice things, and then see the players improve on these things, is great to see.

I think it’s the negative press we get that makes people so paranoid about being negative about players like we have to defend everything about our lads at every cost.

We have a tendency to start being a bit cult-like with this. That’s the sort of thing Liverpool fans do (not saying you’re like that by the way), always feel like there’s this sense of every one of their players is the best player in the world in their position with their fans. Because they’re so insecure they can’t talk about them in any other way.

We’re better than that, I’ve always felt we’re more open and have thicker skin than that. Always find it better and more interesting to talk about pros and cons.

For years an observation about David Silva was his shooting. I think we’ve all said at some point “if his shooting was better and he scored more he’d be the best player in the world” at some point in the nine years he’s been with us.

There was a spell when he didn’t seem confident with his shooting and in one game (can’t remember which now) he passed up a glaring chance to pass instead and misplaced the pass, I’ve never heard a stadium cry “SHOOT FOR FUCK’S SAKE” at a player that loud before.

I get what you’re saying, but I find the discussions on where players can improve interesting. And the more we all notice things, and then see the players improve on these things, is great to see.

I think it’s the negative press we get that makes people so paranoid about being negative about players like we have to defend everything about our lads at every cost.

We have a tendency to start being a bit cult-like with this. That’s the sort of thing Liverpool fans do (not saying you’re like that by the way), always feel like there’s this sense of every one of their players is the best player in the world in their position with their fans. Because they’re so insecure they can’t talk about them in any other way.

We’re better than that, I’ve always felt we’re more open and have thicker skin than that. Always find it better and more interesting to talk about pros and cons.

I don't disagree with any of what you say, of course we'd all like raz to be stronger on his left, but the improvement is plain to see - he has massively improved over the last few seasons but he will always have a howler in his left foot because it's unnatural for him to kick the ball cleanly with it (although he has scored some great goals with his 'wrong foot').

And yes, i probably am being sensitive about the abuse he gets for missing goals he would have scored if it had been on his right foot (this is not aimed at you!!) because for all the good stuff he does on the pitch, it's a shot that's always thrown at him, even more so when he plays for England.

And i agree with your David Silva cannot shoot comment - I don't know how such a cultured, gifted footballer is so poor at shooting (and also using his right foot) but as a fanbase i think it was always more of a frustration than an angry slagging off to the extent that Sterling gets... maybe its' because Silva's role is more of a creator rather than a finisher so it doesn't always cost the team a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.