#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add re Robben too that the highest goalscoring seasons Robben ever had registered 19, 19, 21 and 23 goals. Sterling's last three have had 23, 25, 27 (currently). Now i'm not trying to downplay Robben being great, but I do think we under-appreciate just how good Sterling is, even with his flaws. Everyone has their own flaws of course, but its not easy to find you a wide player that guarantees 20+ goals every season. Sterling is that, and improving. Who knows, might end up a 30 goal a season player.
Sterling scored 5 goals in the first 3 matches of this season, then 6 goals in the next 22 matches (until early March) and finally 8 goals in 8 matches since the restart. He had two incredible seasons in 17/18 and 18/19. Despite scoring more goals, I would not consider this a good season for him. Might be a personal best for him to score 19 league goals, but ultimately what matters is how many times his goals lead to a win.

He would had been very close to Golden boot without that three month drop off, I do wonder what was going on in that period, assists are down but that’s not his gig anymore

Has sterling lost a yard of pace? Doesn’t seem to be able to beat a man like he used to
It'll sound weird but he's never really taken on fullbacks much. He'll do some mazy runs here and there but conventional wing play isn't his style it'd seem.

I wanted to try and get a hat-trick today but it didn't happen. I'm really happy with two goals. It's massive, a winger scoring 20 Premier League goals - a great achievement. We have one game left and hopefully I can do it,sterling

Easy to forget just how good a right-side attacker he is. His movement from there is top class.
Such a waste playing him on the left. Does a good job there, but we lose so much.

Just noticed that Raz has only one assist in the Premier League this season which is a surprising statistic.

Figures for previous seasons:

2015/2016 6 goals 2 assists
2016/2017 7 goals 6 assists
2017/2018 18 goals 11 assists
2018/2019 17 goals 10 assists
2019/2020 19 goals 1 assist

I think this shows that he is less effective when he plays on the left but does it also indicate some others things about his game? - is he now primarily a finisher rather than a creator or is this just an aberration?

Just noticed that Raz has only one assist in the Premier League this season which is a surprising statistic.

Figures for previous seasons:

2015/2016 6 goals 2 assists
2016/2017 7 goals 6 assists
2017/2018 18 goals 11 assists
2018/2019 17 goals 10 assists
2019/2020 19 goals 1 assist

I think this shows that he is less effective when he plays on the left but does it also indicate some others things about his game? - is he now primarily a finisher rather than a creator or is this just an aberration?
I think it's a combo. He's been a bit unlucky with some finishing of others on one part but being on the left all season has deprived him of the cutbacks he once could do so freely. However he can still easily get into the box to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.