#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit he isn't producing. But I find his inclusion to be a problem for the opposition. His speed causes mismatches for others. And when we don't play with a striker, like last game, he should be the false 9 and not Bermie. As he has better instincts and speed to arrive in the box on time.

That said, my current preference will be Ferran and Foden on the wings. Still at a loss as to who should play striker. Gabby isn't producing right now either, so...

Hence why I have faith in Sterling. :)

Last season, Sterling played 2661 minutes in the league had 20 goals & 1 assist only !

1 assist in 2661 minutes, is that normal ?

Jadon Sancho played 2292 minutes

17 goals
& 16 assists

Last season, Sterling played 2661 minutes in the league had 20 goals & 1 assist only !

17 goals
& 16 assists

You would rightly expect a player in Sterling's position in last season's high scoring team to get more than 1 assist.

Unfortunately he can't control the finishing skills of his teammates and, with Sterling, they were as bad as it gets.
The worse in the league in fact for chances created by Sterling. It was a similar story for KDB in 18/19 when he only got 2 assists and, despite his limited involvement, it should have been far more.

The measurement for it is xA and Sterling actually created more in terms of xA (expected assists) than David Silva who finished with 10 assists. (NB xA doesn't measure the quality of the pass, it measures the expectation of a goal being scored when the receiver makes his goal attempt).

Moving on to this season in the leagues, Sterling has 3 assists and 5 goals.... Sancho 2 goals and 5 assists. Both shit relative to last season's output.

His all round play is terrible. Compare him to Foden last night. Foden bright, good movement, beating men, working back, good crosses. Sterling did none of them, all he did was to receive the ball, come to an instant standstill and pass it back to the right back. When he does try to take a man on he is indecisive and runs into them, he hardly has an attempt on goal nowadays. His achievement as top scorer is no great feet when he is neck and neck with Foden who is in and out the team and Gundogan is catching up. I am Mahrez biggest critic and say when he plays it’s like playing with 10. Sterling is now a another passenger in our team. The decline of Sterling has been coming for a while, he was poor last year despite scoring regular goals (usually at the likes of Watford) and missing huge chances like Lyon. This season the speed of his decline has been shocking to see.

I think you are the first person I've seen post "he hardly has an attempt on goal". It is not strictly accurate but in one sense you are right by the way - he is taking on less shots than anytime in his City career AND his last couple of seasons at Liverpool.

Why might that be do you think? Exclude the obvious answer of him delaying his shot/trying to get round another man when in the box.

Why do you think Pep continues to play a "passenger"?

17 goals
& 16 assists

It's normal when he plays on the left. Has 1 assist in 15 games there this season too. He's not creative and doesn't have a left foot(scores plenty of goals with left but tend to be tap-ins) so it limits the chances he does create. Like for example he never gets to the byline and plays it across goal on the left, but he does when on the right. He hasn't scored from the right this season(in open play) but has assisted 4.
Play Foden on the left more and Sterling will start scoring from the right as Phil beats his man and get balls into the box like Sane did for Raheem.

Also as a side note, don't compare numbers of the acres of space Bundesliga to that of the parked bus Prem. Mkhitaryan looked world class (13 goals, 20 assists)for Dortmund then bang average over here. Why not compare them playing for England?

I think you are the first person I've seen post "he hardly has an attempt on goal". It is not strictly accurate but in one sense you are right by the way - he is taking on less shots than anytime in his City career AND his last couple of seasons at Liverpool.

Why might that be do you think? Exclude the obvious answer of him delaying his shot/trying to get round another man when in the box.

Answer to the last question is the only thing that matters.

Raz is untouchable from Pep’s POV. What he brings to the team no one else in the squad can do. Torres will be able to eventually but it will take time.

He is now simply failing to arrive in the positions he was when he was scoring plenty. Why Pep continues to play him, I haven’t got a clue apart from the fact that we are short of options and experience up front

I really want him to hit some form. If he has to keep starting then it would be great if he contributed as much as other players, tried again tonight but 90% of what he is trying breaks down running into players. You can tell he’s the odd one out in terms of technical level.

Still if he’s going to start scoring tap ins again I guess that’s something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.