#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats just not true, players have form because their people not machines....this isn't football manager where they play the same season after season

Hes only 26, he hasn't plateud because he's having a poor half season

Some players peak when their teens, some players peak then collapse then peak again, some don't really become their best until their into their 30s

Where is Sterling now? he's out of form but has the mentality and ability to become a key player for us again, or he doesn't hit those heights and indeed has peaks

But we won't know and people wanting to sell him because of his recent form are (in my opinion) short minded and the same people who wanted us to sell Gundogan/Mahrez for being useless despite both have been key players for us this season

Your post lost any credibility when you falsely claimed he has only had a poor half season.

He’s obviously seen the super league announcement and realised it’s goodbye to his England career

More than ever we now need our squad for rotation and Raheem's legs as well. Even if he still has huge problems with ball control he should concentrate on physical workrate and help his team mates (and himself), in those matches where we want to rotate.

There were comparisons to Stones' situation. Extremely helpful for John was playing aside the mentality monster Ruben Dias is, arising on the scenery. And that's how I know you help an out of form player:
play him alongside very strong players and their confidence will make it easy for the weak player to recover.

The contrast was the case vs one of the most in form top sides in Europe in a big pressure FA cup semi, alongside Mendy, out of form Jesus and a knackered Kev. That didn't really help, when low on confidence anyway. A mountain too high.

Last edited:
I really like in form Raz. He was one player other than KDB who was really world class. He has gone from a player that could play in any team to a player who would struggle in a Sunday league team. It’s terrible to see but he can’t be relied on at the moment and is like playing with 10 men. No idea what’s gone on but he needs to sort it out quick or he will struggle to recover the form we know he can show. Come on Raz sort it blue

I really like in form Raz. He was one player other than KDB who was really world class. He has gone from a player that could play in any team to a player who would struggle in a Sunday league team. It’s terrible to see but he can’t be relied on at the moment and is like playing with 10 men. No idea what’s gone on but he needs to sort it out quick or he will struggle to recover the form we know he can show. Come on Raz sort it blue

When teamed up with Ferran and Jesus, its actually like playing with 8 men. No wonder our midfield is knackered.

When teamed up with Ferran and Jesus, its actually like playing with 8 men. No wonder our midfield is knackered.
When we start Jesus and Ferran - I think to myself - ah shit! - I hope we eke out a win. Against top level competition these two players don't cut it.

Ad for Sterling - he's definitely very frustrating - but not lazy per se. Sterling - with confidence and motivation - is very good. Unfortunately, he, for whatever reason - and I don't think it's lack of effort - often seems to perform below his best.

Lack of confidence I guess.

I never get that statement as its only true until its obvious it isn't (and that goes for any player).

That aside though, why do you think he is the epitome, genuinely interested, not looking for ww3
It's not the first time we've seen Sterling dipped in form. Before he even came here he was still a class player as that S and S duo with Suarez and I was glad that we got him to move to us. Even then he had dips in form.

His first year with us wasn't great but wasn't half bad either. His finishing in particular which we were quick to point out that he overthinks things and dithers with the ball in front of goal. But once he sorted that out we credited it to Pep, his finishing became sublime and instinctve. He rounded keepers, he dribbled through 3 players with ease. He ran to the goal line and crosses back goal side to Aguero or De Bruyne or Sane or whoever in the box. With Sane they were unplayable at times. His poor finishing crept in at times but he comes back to being class player.

It's only this time his dip in form coincides with our run in for the fight on all fronts (the quadruple that now not meant to be) and Gundogan and Foden getting on form. Many now have a stick (or two now) to beat him with.

But we can't just lose a 30 goals 20 assist a season player overnight. He has history of overthinking. Sterling needs to get his confidence back, and that greed to score. That mess to score a goal last match is not the only example of him being in two minds. It's been awhile since we see him make an effort to squeeze through players to get in the box. Can't put a finger on why that is though. Angling for a move? Confidence shot? Off-field matters? Harder to stand out in the new system where Stones and Diaz now break into the box? Fallen out of favour?

He's being put under the microscope here because of how players we used to want to sell (Gundogan) or thinking of loaning out for experience (Foden) and chopping block (Mahrez) all have contributed more in the run in.

The worst that can happen is to sell him to a rival team whether it be in the league or CL. He's got several years left and I truly believe he hasn't reached his prime yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.