#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing this, not good enough to take us to 'the next level'.

I'm not entirely sure what 'the next level' is supposed to be?

I'm pretty dubious that I'll ever see a better City side than the one which acheived 100 points and then followed it up with a domestic treble. This side certainly isn't, yet we're in the Champions League final, which just goes to show that you need a bit of luck to win any knockout tournament.

Point being, Sterling was the most important and consistent player for us over those 2 seasons. He rarely missed games through injury, scored a shitload, assisted a shitload, playing on the right and the left. So if anyone is going to help us get back to that level, let alone 'the next level', surely it's him?

I agree. I think he will come good again. I actually think he has played well his last 3 games.

Long term I have more doubts about the likes of Jesus who is no better than he was when we signed him.

As I wrote earlier in multiple posts, no they couldn't. If it were the case that it was possible, then Sterling wouldn't have been the only player like that so far.
I’ll reserve my right to disagree, even IF you’ve put the case forward multiple times. I’ll respect your opinion, but I disagree - the absence of something doesn’t equate to its impossibility.

Only 2 young raw talents have been given the opportunity to challenge Sterling for his place out wide - one was electric but had a poor attitude, one has succeeded in supplanting Sterling this season.

Pep’s system relies on players being in the right place at the right time to give and receive the ball, and I personally have seen improvements in both Sane and Foden’s positional sense, and movement under Pep. I’d suggest that’s reason enough not to discount the possibility of a more technically gifted player developing the movement side of their game, which we agree Sterling excels at, to a point that their overall game offers more to the team.

A player with great movement and not much else is not it going to take us to the next level.
Sadly sometimes players need to move on for the club to move forward.

what’s the next level? With Sterling we achieved the highest points total ever to win a league. We might win a treble.. champions league finalists

short of winning the World Cup as well what is the next level?

what’s the next level? With Sterling we achieved the highest points total ever to win a league. We might win a treble.. champions league finalists

short of winning the World Cup as well what is the next level?
I guess being more consistent in terms of our CL presence,first off we need to win it......then,going forward,ensuring we reach at least a Semi Final every year.Also when we choose to rest the first 11,the drop off isn't quite as harsh as it currently is.

That's next level to me.

The trouble with Sterling is we have now evolved into a more technical team, ball retention, intricate passing and moving, he was great on the wing with Sane opposite and counter attacking when he doesnt need to think. This team now have gone past that, Sterling just doesn’t have that so unless we change back to wingers which I doubt he will get less game time, Grealish is ability wise a much better fit.

Sterling is a very hard worker, a really genuine guy and a very good footballer. Doesn't mean to say that we should not ditch him for a better alternative asap.

It was the same with Mahrez. If we had replaced him before last season, he'd have proved us wrong eventually but in the meantime we might have won more with his replacement. Who knows.

Even at his very best Sterling would miss opportunities if he had too much time to think. If Grealish replaces him then hopefully he'll have that ability to "stop time" that the very best players somehow manage.

I think there's some role for him in the final, maybe not from the start but I thought Azpilacueta struggled with him and a tougher European ref would have booked him earlier and not allowed him to continuously get away with those niggly fouls from behind.

I think there's some role for him in the final, maybe not from the start but I thought Azpilacueta struggled with him and a tougher European ref would have booked him earlier and not allowed him to continuously get away with those niggly fouls from behind.
Same ref might have red carded Sterling for that stupid challenge.

Hopefully, we can win the game without the need to use Sterling as his form is so far from where it needs to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.