#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be two very distinct groups on these threads - fans and supporters.
Fans will critique and try to work out where weaknesses are and how the team could improve. Supporters will often blindly clap and cheer, come rain or shine. In the stadium that has its merits, in a discussion it just seems inflammatory.

So, those who turn out to be right about the players are just blind supporters, and those who are wrong about them are critically minded and seek the truth? Wow. What about the possibility that many of the critics are just clueless and that many of the 'blind supporters' defend the players because they are able to appreciate the players better? Has this possibility crossed your mind?

Last edited:
Didn’t bother to read much of the recent posts or thread, was actually just skimming through some of my past posts. He’s been One of the few players I like to criticize.

Unfortunately haven’t watched all of the games this year. Have seen some good and bad of raz. Still wanted to chime in and say I’ve seen massive improvement in some key moments. Don’t think he’ll ever be our pk taker but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him this season. He’s getting really good, man. Best couple years are right around the corner.
By your own admission, you haven't watched all games, so to say he's getting really good is somewhat strange.

Which corner are you talking about exactly?

Smashing, so we just need to find the position that unlocks Raz’s potential then.

No-one ever questioned Gundogan’s technical ability (as far as I’m aware) - just his efficacy in a defensive/holding role. Granted, I personally never thought moving him further forward would produce quite the returns it has, but anyone with eyes could see that Gundogan’s technical ability, with the ball at his feet, was brilliant.

Very different situation with Sterling.

There seem to be two very distinct groups on these threads - fans and supporters.
Fans will critique and try to work out where weaknesses are and how the team could improve. Supporters will often blindly clap and cheer, come rain or shine. In the stadium that has its merits, in a discussion it just seems inflammatory.

I dont think anyone has a problem with fans that critique a player and try to work out where weaknesses are and how the team.can improve.

I dont see all that much of that when it comes to Sterling, and havent since he arrived.

I also dont see much blind clapping and cheering when it comes to discussion on Srerling.

The difference with Sterling and basically every other player in this team is he just can’t do the basics. He under or over hits passes more frequently than anyone, he can’t dribble past a guy and when he does he runs out of play or gets tackled when the hard work is done. He lacks a basic first touch at times. His finishing is so erratic at times. I think I would choose the majority of other attackers in the league when it came to a 1v1 through to the GK before him.
If people watch closely on a counter attack he can really slow the game down instead of driving forward and use his pace. He just walks with the ball.
He lacks ideas and imagination with the ball, he is clearly a level below everyone else in the team.

The truth is the system and clear instructions from pep has made him look amazing at times and when it hasn’t worked he is not the guy to rely on to dig you out of a hole.

In saying all that he does have world class movement and gets on the end of loads of chances. In his good seasons he has finished his tap ins because of that and scored the odd 1v1 which I am sure people are genuinely surprised when he does. You will never fully trust him in any scenario though, going through on goals or having to make a simple pass in a clutch moment, he may pull it off but just as likely he will mess it up. Is that good enough for a team who is looking to win it all? I guess we will find out in the next few months.

I actually want him to do well and prove me wrong but at the moment he does not deserve a new contract and sometimes you need to move on your big players and freshen things up. I feel like his time has come.

I am sure people will point to his stats but look at his overall play in the last 2 seasons and if you watch without bias it’s clear for all to see. A positional change is not going to fix that either.
You say Sterling cannot dribble past a guy? I know he has had a poor season but Sterling usually does multiple successful take ons that lead that chances and goals every game. Lately he has been running into blind alleys but when you look at the players in our team that have successful dribbles in the opposition box, Sterling is number one of the lot. Bernardo dribbles very efficiently but whenever he is in and around the opposition box, his first thought is usually to keep the ball, look for a runner in a good position and lob the ball and so he finds a passing alternative. Mahrez is similar but doesn’t do it as well as Bernardo. Sterling is the guy that would like to take more risk and try to use pace and trickery to beat 2 or 3 players. I disagree with your submission in that respect.

His passing and general play technique, shooting technique, erratic finishing sometimes, etc are well documented issues about Sterling which I don’t see him improving so much on as he gets older but what he brings to the team (if you are not completely focused on his temporary dip in form) far outweigh these issues and that is what makes your conclusion so wrong. In fact we should be grateful to Pep and Sterling for delivering these mind blowing numbers inspire of these deficiencies. You conclude by saying we should see the back of him and freshen up but have you highlighted the issues with Bernardo’s play how we can look non-threatening for so many months especially if KDB is in the team or when he is playing in attack, how that we do not seem to have the cutting edge and decisiveness in attack many times when he is there despite having a superior technique? Do we ditch Bernardo because of this and “freshen things up.” Do we also ditch him because many of us are pouncing on a very recent dip in form when Bernardo had been relatively poor for like 18 months, are we being fair?

See I don’t have a problem with pointing out his faults but can you just be fair? Apart from the above I would sooner see the back of Torres, Mahrez and Gabriel before ever suggesting his exit. He may be the least aesthetically appealing attacker but he is one of the most decisive and result-oriented.

Do not let decency bias skew your judgement inappropriately.

Last edited:
You say Sterling cannot dribble past a guy? I know he has had a poor season but Sterling usually does multiple successful take ons that lead that chances and goals every game. Lately he has been running into blind alleys but when you look at the players in our team that have successful dribbles in the opposition box, Sterling is number one of the lot. Bernardo dribbles very efficiently but whenever he is in and around the opposition box, his first thought is usually to keep the ball and so he finds a passing alternative. Mahrez is similar but doesn’t do it as well as Bernardo. Sterling is the guy that would like to take more risk and try to use pace and trickery to beat 2 or 3 players. I disagree with your submission in that respect.

His passing and general play technique, shooting technique, erratic finishing sometimes, etc are well documented issues about Sterling which I don’t see him improving so much on as he gets older but what he brings to the team (if you are not completely focused on his temporary dip in form) far outweigh these issues and that is what makes your conclusion so wrong. In fact we should be grateful to Pep and Sterling for delivering these mind blowing numbers inspire of these deficiencies. You conclude by saying we should see the back of him and freshen up but have you highlighted the issues with Bernardo’s play how we can look non-threatening for so many months especially if KDB is in the team or when he is playing in attack, how that we do not seem to have the cutting edge and decisiveness in attack many times when he is there despite having a superior technique? Do we ditch Bernardo because of this and “freshen things up.” Do we also ditch him because many of us are pouncing on a very recent dip in form when Bernardo had been relatively poor for like 18 months, are we being fair?

See I don’t have a problem with pointing out his faults but can you just be fair? Apart from the above I would sooner see the back of Torres, Mahrez and Gabriel before ever suggesting his exit. He may be the least aesthetically appealing attacker but he is one of the most decisive and result-oriented.

Do not let decency bias skew your judgement inappropriately.
Gen Q. You say very recent dip in form. When do you think this dip started. Not looking for any barney's, but I think most would agree that most recent is a tad generous

Gen Q. You say very recent dip in form. When do you think this dip started. Not looking for any barney's, but I think most would agree that most recent is a tad generous
We could have slightly diverging views about when the dip started but it’s not near the 18 months dip in form that Bernardo has suffered.

Often gets faced up by 3 defenders.
Why?
Because they shit their pants.
His inclusion determines the shape of the other team.
He has to take players on to remind them to keep him tamed. Pep always claps him in these situations, regardless of success or not.
Clichéd, but he does make space for others.
His natural balance is on a knife edge. Makes him tricky as fck to read but also liable to mishaps.
His one on one finishing is poor but so his Jesus and KDB.
He could well be a 200 goal winger by the end of his career. He now has more goals for City than Ribery did in his 12 Years at Bayern. He has not even reached his peak yet. Let that sink in.
He and we are top the league.

Is there a single player in England who has out scored Sterling from open play since the start of last season? Kane, Salah, Son, Mane, Penandes...? Might be wrong but think there isn't a single one. Kane and Salah have scored 3-4 goals more than Sterling but fewer from non-pens.

Edit: No, I'm not wrong. Salah 47, Kane 45, Sterling 44. From open play Sterling has been the best goalscorer in England since the start of 19/20.

Last edited:
Is there a single player in England who has out scored Sterling from open play since the start of last season? Kane, Salah, Son, Mane, Penandes...? Might be wrong but think there isn't a single one. Kane and Salah have scored 3-4 goals more than Sterling but fewer from non-pens.
How many would those you name score with our supporting act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.