#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he did was great, but he only had to do it because he didn't shoot when he should have. Bizarre that people are pretending that's not the case when you consider how good he used to be at scoring from those positions. And the vast majority of the time when he overthinks things like that it ends in us wasting a great chance.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player cutting the ball back onto their favoured foot.

If he had shot immeduately one or both of those defenders would have blocked it.

By taking them both out of the game completely, and probably out of the ground.., such was the speed and dexterity of Raheems change of direction..,he created valuable space for himself ... the other posters assertion that he "didnt have control of ths ball" is laughable..ask those two defenders who was in control....if Messi or David Silva had executed that move,we would all be saying world class...not looking for ways to put a downer on ,possibly,the sweetest bit of ball control in the whole match..

Its ok to apply critical analysis to match situations ,but to suggest that deciding not to shoot with your weaker foot,as 90% of players do...it could well be seen as a bit silly really...nit picking at its finest.

And it should be remembered,as articulated by Pep himself,he said very early on in his City career that he prefers players who are not greedy and who always look for a colleague who has an even easier chance to score..that is why we have scored so many goals where a pass has been laid across the floor of the 6 yard box..no other team in this country does this with such stunning regularity....a thing of beauty indeed,and not to be sneered at..

Last edited:
What he did was great, but he only had to do it because he didn't shoot when he should have. Bizarre that people are pretending that's not the case when you consider how good he used to be at scoring from those positions. And the vast majority of the time when he overthinks things like that it ends in us wasting a great chance.
Spot on.

His confidence scoring wise is low, he did the right thing, great control made two defenders look slapstick, had composure to not blast it with his favourite foot but to calmly give it to someone in a better position who slid it in, my only concern is raheems confidence, a couple off his arse will do him the world of good

And it should be remembered,as articulated by Pep himself,he said very early on in his City career that he prefers players who are not greedy and who always look for a colleague who has an even easier chance to score..that is why we have scored so many goals where a pass has been laid across the floor of the 6 yard box

Yeah, that's what Jesus did. Raheem very nearly fucked it. He recovered it in the end because he's brilliant, but usually when he does that he doesn't recover it. If this was the Champions League final and Neuer or Courtois had managed to make the save, I suspect people would feel very differently.

Yeah, that's what Jesus did. Raheem very nearly fucked it. He recovered it in the end because he's brilliant, but usually when he does that he doesn't recover it. If this was the Champions League final and Neuer or Courtois had managed to make the save, I suspect people would feel very differently.
So we are now down to using hypotheticals in order to paint a picture of Sterling cocking up instead of concentrating on what actually happened and resulted in a great team goal.
This is why he has no chance when it comes to a handful of posters on here.

So we are now down to using hypotheticals in order to paint a picture of Sterling cocking up instead of concentrating on what actually happened and resulted in a great team goal.
This is why he has no chance when it comes to a handful of posters on here.

I'm as big a Sterling fan as you're likely to find, I've said on a number of occasions that he's my favourite footballer in the world and half my post history on this forum is me either praising him or defending him from idiots.

That said, the Sterling of a few years ago (not even that) who was averaging 26 goals a season would have calmly slotted that in first time, not resorted to a very difficult piece of play that usually ends badly for him when he tries it.

I'm looking back at that highlight again, and I think if someone who had more confidence in his shooting/finishing, would have popped it past the keeper, possibly first-timing Jesus' initial pass. Jesus' set-up is better than some would suggest. Of course, there's every chance in the world for the shot to be blocked/saved by the onrushing defenders, or by Schmeichel.

But credit where it's due, he recovered it well enough, and it's a good team goal. His turn away from the sliding challenge is better than what most posters would give credit for.

I believe what's plaguing Raz is self-belief. When Jesus made the first pass, Raz didn't even adjust his body shape to shoot, but his first thought seemed to be controlling it first. Hopefully, some way down the line, Raz can find that confidence back, same way Bernie and Stones did.

How sad the last couple of pages have been , get lives
It’s really strange kaz. How anyone can criticise a city player for showing great composure, awareness and unselfishness to set up a city goal that was a thing of beauty needs to see a psychiatrist for ‘compulsive Sterling hatred disorder’

But he didn’t fuck it up!!!! This is just bizarre. I really really don’t get this constant Raheem slating from city fans. Yes he’s been out of form and yes he deserved to get dropped, but it seems every tiny thing gets criticised and has happened ever since he left the dippers. I’m not having a go, I just don’t get it. Maybe it’s just me I dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.