#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't be sold as he is English and that HG qouta as of now is important.
But we will have someone who will earn £300k per week who doesn't deserve half of it.
And we will have Foden on say £60k who will do three four times more than what Sterling will do.

Also will send wrong message across dressing room that Non Performing Asset will continue being second highest earner
I doubt the club would hold onto him because hes HG. I think Sterling frustrates the hell out of Pep & If he s not up to it then time to move on.

A reasoned post. For me though, the flaws in his game are inherent, and not as a result of the style we play.
He has poor technical ability, which is now being further exposed.
I’m surprised more people aren’t commenting on these basic and very apparent flaws.

His first touch is terrible. His left foot is only good for standing on. When he tries to take on a defender he is more likely to run into him than get round him. One on one with a goalkeeper he is awful.

As others have said on here, I think Pep has seen all these flaws and has decided that Sterling is no longer automatic to start in big games.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he is sold this summer to raise funds for a new striker.

Last edited:
you make a good point.
I don’t get it with Sterling. He’s get more abuse then anyone and lots of comments about how he has never been good enough -which is a load of rubbish.

‘Remember how good sane, aguero and Sterling were’ , but no sterling’s never been good. Sell him now!
I think the issue with Sterling is that you have to split his city career in 2. Sterling in the big games, and Sterling in the other games.

Last few months a side Sterling in non big games has been brilliant for us and that cannot be questioned.

Sterling in the big games (and by big I mean the CL knockouts, FA Cup semi's, United and Liverpool in the league) is completely useless and has been since he signed for us. If he wants to be one of the go to players he has to perform in these. For 6 years he hasn't.

Gundogan was getting dogs abuse on here. Hello, simon23.....
Talk about a toxic thread i don't think Gundogans will ever be beat, Now he could walk away with the player of the year award and a fair few trophies, as could our other friend Mahrez whose threads on here let's say were disturbing.

I’m surprised more people aren’t commenting on these basic and very apparent flaws.

His first touch is terrible. His left foot is only good for standing on. When he tries to take on a defender he is more likely to run into him than get round him. One on one with a goalkeeper he is awful.

As others have said on here, I think Pep has seen all these flaws and has decided that Sterling is no longer automatic start in big games.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he is sold this summer to raise funds for a new striker.
To be fair, these problems have been there agreed but those saying he will be back and he isworld class don't see this.

Lot's on here have said that he has plenty credit in the bank,due to previous seasons,now he hasn't.

That credit in the bank has ran out,he is now on a credit card,and it is almost maxed out,there is the difference.

For a long time I've thought he had a fear of the goal, which needed hypnotising outta him - the further up the pitch he travelled, the more the pressure of expectation mounted in his mind, the more his ability to kick a ball deteriorated. So for this lousy form to coincide with the lack of crowds is puzzling to me; I thought he'd benefit from it.

Sterling has been crap this season but I’m not sure why we’d sell?
It depends on whether those at the club think he can turn it around or even if he wants to, for us. But slapping a big new contract on the table this summer giving him parity with KDB, when there's a huge risk he won't turn it around, isn't going to happen. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. All we see is his performance on the pitch.

Why would we sell? Lots of reasons but the logical ones are:
  • He would command a decent fee.
  • He's on the balance sheet at a low book value so we'd report a huge profit, even if we sold him for £60m.
  • We'd release enough wages to fund two very decent replacements.
  • We need revenue to replace the £75m in matchday revenue we've lost the last two seasons and player sales are the easiest way to do that.
  • It's been 18 months of generally poor performances, we don't see him turning it around and we can't afford a £300k/week bench player who'll only play in the League Cup or some dead-rubber games.
The other potential ones are:
  • Maybe we don't feel we're getting value for money.
  • Maybe he wants us to sell him.
  • Maybe his attitude in training, or generally, stinks.

Biggest confidence player going. At peak confidence he probably overperformed.
Now he’s underperforming.
Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The mantra is simple. He won’t be sold. He’ll get a new contract. The rest is just a lot of noise. He was piss poor again yesterday but that’s not going to change the club’s view of him.

For him to be sold he’d have to say he wants to leave. And let’s be honest, that’s not happening. He’s at the best club in the country.

So it’s probably for the best some of you get your pent up anger and frustration out on here before the grounds open again.

Out of interest Billy, do you know/think the club is determined to agree a new contract come what may, or if they would even contemplate selling should the two parties be poles apart in their demands/expectations? Are they not even remotely concerned by the level at which Raheem is currently (and has been for a not inconsiderable amount of time) playing, and/or his potential future effectiveness should we maintain our more controlled playing approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.