#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem, Some of us did! I maintained that Stones was always one of the very best ball playing centre halves in the sport. There was nowt wrong with his ability, he was just injury prone.

There is a difference between a player in disappointing form when the team is having a weaker season and having a mediocre season now when everyone is shining

Sterling is a confidence-driven player - full of confidence he's awesome. As of late though - he's lost in front of goal - missing many chances he'd slot into the back of the net were he in form.

He'll break out of this slump eventually.

Meanwhile he's unfortunately lost the confidence of Pep, and of City fans; rumors abound that he might not even be in our side next season.
Pep's most recent interviews have been clear in demonstarating he has not lost confidence in Sterling. There are millions of City fans whose opinions range from complete confidence in him to zero confidence in him, how many did you survey to make your statement ?. "rumors abound " or "people say " are commonly used where the poster/speaker tries to make it appear they are not the creators of the rumour but have nothing to support their words. Best to read the City official site and not waste your energy on rumours.

Who knows how much faith to place in this post? - makes sense though.
Faith ? None.!! It is speculation, an excuse for writing an article, the names of clubs and players change by the hour, it is click bait. Any player could leave in the summer but these people have no more knowledge about City's in house affairs than the average fan, which with a few exceptions is minimal.

One big possible thing that's harmed him this season is our increasingly slow play. You take Pep's fear of counter attacks, Aguero's fitness issues, and our lack of pace, and it's asking for a patient false 9 setup. We don't break teams down with sharp interplay as often, nor do we rely on fast transitions. It's more about meticulously carving openings and very precise execution, doing whatever it takes to not jump the gun early. We score more pullback goals where the furthest players forward occupy the centre backs near the goalline whilst another player (typically Foden or Gundogan) are on hand to tap in. There's far breaking the defence with Sterling scoring the open goal tap in.
Great point. Definitely a more measured approach this season and emphasis on reducing the risk from counter attacks.

If Haaland is the main target this summer (and I think he is), it will be interesting to see how Pep plans to change things and how this affects Sterling.

Depends on getting a decent offer for him, but if we do I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave this summer
Kind of agree. Phil has raised the bar to a level I don't think Sterling could match.
If Grealish rocks up next season, Sterling is going to find it even harder to get significant game time.
Euros are going to be very telling for Sterling insofar to his confidence

But what if Sterling hasn't lost confidence? What if the loss of Silva and a new style of play that doesn't create as many easy chances is the cause? When I watch Sterling play, he doesn't look short of confidence to me. He's always missed easy chances, but now he has fewer overall chances, so naturally the goal total goes down. Coupled with the rapid improvement of Foden, of course, which takes the focus off him

But what if Sterling hasn't lost confidence? What if the loss of Silva and a new style of play that doesn't create as many easy chances is the cause? When I watch Sterling play, he doesn't look short of confidence to me. He's always missed easy chances, but now he has fewer overall chances, so naturally the goal total goes down. Coupled with the rapid improvement of Foden, of course, which takes the focus off him
I believe there's something to this.

We play much slower these days. We still score pullbacks but instead of it being the furthest man forward (Sterling or a striker) being the scorer, it's a late runner getting the goals (Foden and Gundogan especially).

We're far more methodical these days, which suits the players with more midfield ability. Mahrez and Foden have this over Sterling, just as Bernardo has the advantage over Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.