Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll see more and more high profile players running down their contracts at current clubs in favour a big payday. Nothing new to the player itself but for clubs in a post/mid-Covid landscape, every penny counts.

Most would rather pay bigger wages/signing on fees as I'm sure it'd be cheaper in the long run.

Sterling holds the cards here as TH has said and ironically it's probably because of how shit he's been for 2 years when we probably didn't try to extend his contract past 2023 (unless I'm being naive).

You said a little while ago that Sterling and Mahrez won`t be here for much longer. Is that still the case?

Much longer in terms of their existing contracts, no.

I don't think Sterling is changing his mind and the Club are having a real think about Mahrez, factoring in his age and resale.

Would do you base that idea on ?
He actually likes his life and where he lives and he knows City won't sell to a direct domestic rival.

Despite all the shit heaped on his doorstep, Raheem still has plenty of good things to say about Liverpool and, bizarrely, says his kids even support them.

A strange situation considering he has been with us seven years.

The scousers love to try and get one over us and I can just see them being up for a free transfer if Sterling gave the slightest indication he was interested.

Nothing more than that.

Her name is Kelly Hogarth.

Not really an agent, she was a communications director at RocNation, seems to be more PR and media relations than the Mino Raiola/Jorge Mendes style football agent.

Coincidentally De Bruyne is signed with Roc Nation sports, he does have agents, he just didn't get them involved in the contract discussions.

Yep, she is an attack dog in that sense.

Personally I’m quite relaxed. He’s a valuable squad member but by no means the first name on the team sheet these days. There is probably more internal competition than ever before, some in the form of homegrown players.

I’d be happy for him to sign a new contract but NOT for extra wages. His current money is perfectly adequate. On the other hand, should he run his contract down but continue to behave professionally, we won’t have fared too badly over the whole duration.

Much longer in terms of their existing contracts, no.

I don't think Sterling is changing his mind and the Club are having a real think about Mahrez, factoring in his age and resale.
Not getting a fee for them wouldn’t be ideal, but they’ve been very sucsessful investments nonetheless. I could easily see Palmer replacing Mahrez, and Sterling’s declined a lot (although he’s improved last couple months). Even without replacing them with new signings, we’re already in a pretty good position with Foden, Palmer, Jesus and Kayky. Looking a little bit light on the left side though, if Grealish starts playing more centrally

Not getting a fee for them wouldn’t be ideal, but they’ve been very sucsessful investments nonetheless. I could easily see Palmer replacing Mahrez, and Sterling’s declined a lot (although he’s improved last couple months). Even without replacing them with new signings, we’re already in a pretty good position with Foden, Palmer, Jesus and Kayky. Looking a little bit light on the left side though, if Grealish starts playing more centrally

I would think the reason we bought Grealish when we did was so he and Foden could rotate on the left, with Phil equally at home on the right and down the middle.

Palmer certainly looks like he could be Mahrez successor on the right.

My cousin is a Celtic fan and he asked me today who the hell Palmer is?

He said not to laugh, but his running style with ball reminded him of Zidane.

I'll take that!

I would think the reason we bought Grealish when we did was so he and Foden could rotate on the left, with Phil equally at home on the right and down the middle.

I'll take that!
They Are both better than Sterling on the left

I'll take that!
Bernardo was likely to leave when we signed Grealish, wasn’t he? With Kev and Gundo over the age of 30, Foden mostly playing out wide rather than the middle, and Bernardo potentially leaving, I thought he was primarily a midfield signing. I don’t think he suits the LW position in the current system, playing next to a false 9 that always drops deep and a left back that never overlaps. There are simply very little players to create for, and he lacks a little pace to play wide

Have you heard anything about other potential transfer targets by the way? Alternatives to Haaland or other positions?

I dont think it would be the end of the world if Raheem would leave on a free. And the reason is probably the same as to why he hasn't sign a new deal yet, he is not a certain starter for us anymore. On his day he is still great, and perhaps he has found some decent form again now. But I struggle to see him come back to that form he had a couple of seasons ago. 50M paid, if we get 8 years out of that its still decent business.
Would of course prefer us to get a decent fee for him, but if he chooses to just run his contract down thats fine by me too. Rather that then we give him another huge contract which his recent (last 1-2 years) performances doesnt deserve. Our best paid players should also be our best players, and currently I'm not sure he is. I'm sure the club will make whatever decision that is best on this matter so nothing to worry about in my opinion=)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.