Rainbow Laces Initiative Not To Be Used In Countries Where The Initiative Is Actually Needed.

mexico1970

Team supported
Manchester City
Both United and Liverpool are not using the Rainbow Laces initiative in countries that might take offence to it, these countries are the ones that they should be targetting instead of preaching to the converted surely?

Same for City. Look at the English and Arabic language Twitter accounts. The English one has a rainbow border, but the Arabic one has none. The Weibo account in China also doesn't have one.

To be fair, I think the rainbow laces campaign is about making gay people feel welcome in the domestic game, not trying to change the values of society at large, let alone other countries.
When gay footballers feel comfortable about coming out in Europe, which still appears to be some way off, then we can perhaps think about a more global approach.

We need to put our own house in order before we get upset about what others around the world do.

Good points lads, although the cynic in me does think that part of the none involvement is down to loss of revenue if they did openly support it in certain countries.

There's an old philosophical debate over whether a good deed is no longer good if done for cynical purposes.

Obviously this and many other things like this in all forms of life are almost always entirely PR motivated.

However it's possible that it still has a positive benefit societally.

I think it's complicated.

Good points lads, although the cynic in me does think that part of the none involvement is down to loss of revenue if they did openly support it in certain countries.
Certainly one to throw back at them next time they try bollocking on about sportswashing or dubious regimes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.