Random Facts About City

In 1906 City had to auction off most of their players to pay fines imposed by the FA for financial irregularities and attempting to bribe opponents. Four of those players were snapped up by the rags including the star player of the era, Billy Meredith. United then went on to win 2 league titles and the FA cup in the next few seasons.

April 20th please :) My birthday

im not sure but i think its same birthday as shay given

bell_mcfc said:
April 20th please :) My birthday

im not sure but i think its same birthday as shay given

1921 - Tom Browell scored a hat trick and Horace Barnes got two goals in a 5-1 victory over PNE

May 15 1963..the actual day I was born...........City were 1 up against the rags.They got a dodgey pen in the last 5 mins and drew with us. We were both facing religation..we lost our final game against west ham 6-1 and went down-----However may 15 1999 Dickov equalised in play off semi against Wigan my 36th birthday...my nephew was born 28 feb 1976 his dad[my brother]was watching Tueart and Barnes score against another northern side in London.

lancs blue said:
NQT said:
1920 - King George V visited us at Hyde Road for the game against Liverpool. We won 2-1

I believe that's another unique event for City - the only time a reigning monarch has attended an English League match.
By jove I think you are right..And guess what it;ll happen again soon.LOL

i8therags said:
lancs blue said:
I believe that's another unique event for City - the only time a reigning monarch has attended an English League match.
By jove I think you are right..And guess what it;ll happen again soon.LOL

Surely we should have the Royal Warrant application passed then.

MCFC By Royal Appointment - Purveyors of Fine Football

NQT said:
ultimateharold said:
1926 - Last game of the season, Newcastle away. City are on a run of four consecutive wins and need a draw to avoid relegation. City miss a pen, lose 3-2 and go down

What made the 1925-26 season most amazing was that from November City didn't have a manager. They'd got rid of David Ashworth in November and didn't appoint a new manager until Monday 26th April 1926 - there were only 2 games left and City were virtually safe.

In between Ashworth leaving and Peter Hodge becoming manager on 26th April, the vice-Chairman, Albert Alexander snr, took responsibility for picking players, tactics etc. He guided City well for most of the season. The three main highlights being - beating Utd 6-1 at Old Trafford (still the record for a derby); beating Utd in the FA Cup semi final (still the only FAC semi between the two sides); and guiding City to the 1926 final (the first time either Manchester side had played at Wembley).

He was in charge for the final, but we lost 1-0 to Bolton on 24th April. Two days later Hodge became manager and we won 1 and lost the other 3-2 as mentioned. A draw would have been enough and so the penalty taker Billy Austin was blamed - his penalty went straight at the 'keeper for an easy save. Austin had also been blamed by some fans for City losing the FA Cup final - in the last minute he had a great opportunity to score but decided to pass the ball instead!

Despite losing 3-2 as the players left the pitch they thought City were still safe, but both Leeds and Burnley won 4-1, meaning they both had 1 point more than City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.