Random Facts About City

gagiesotherhalf said:
5th August? (Apart from it being both mine and Wayne Bridge's birthday...oh and Antoine Sibierski...hee hee)

1972 - City beat Villa in the Charity Shield. Franny Lee scored

Gary James said:
lancs blue said:
But Gary, with United not entering the '68 League Cup that has traditionally meant it wasn't regarded as a major trophy because not all top flight clubs entered.

Yeah, I know and that's the line I normally stick by, but unfortunately because Leeds won the League in 1968-69 and the Fairs Cup in August/September 1968 (the 2nd leg was on 11th Sept 68) technically they won 2 major trophies in the same season.

It's dodgy ground really because I agree that the League Cup couldn't be classed as major if several significant top flight sides don't enter, but because the final was held over Leeds fans could argue that the Fairs Cup and the League Championship trump our achievement in 1970.

And weirdly havent both teams fell as far (3rd tier) as eurean trophy winners.

AS well as Forest i think?

lancs blue said:
NQT said:
1967 - The legendary "ballet on ice" took place at Maine Road

Now you're talking, what a match - the compensation for being over 50 is having been lucky enough to see matches like that at first hand.

Can you imagine the outcry from todays bunch of puffs if they had to play in conditions like that.

NQT said:
lancs blue said:
Now you're talking, what a match - the compensation for being over 50 is having been lucky enough to see matches like that at first hand.

Can you imagine the outcry from todays bunch of puffs if they had to play in conditions like that.

LOL True enough, though nowadays it would have been called off to protect the fans from the slippery conditions!

How about...

'City' first played under floodlights in 1889? Ardwick played newton heath in feb 1889 at Belle Vue to raise money for the families of victims of the Hyde Coal Mine disaster. 10,000 watched the game and lights were strung up around the pitch.

In March 1890 we apparently played Everton in a floodlit friendly at Hyde Rd (I'm still researching this, so don't have much info yet).

Gary James said:
How about...

'City' first played under floodlights in 1889? Ardwick played newton heath in feb 1889 at Belle Vue to raise money for the families of victims of the Hyde Coal Mine disaster. 10,000 watched the game and lights were strung up around the pitch.

In March 1890 we apparently played Everton in a floodlit friendly at Hyde Rd (I'm still researching this, so don't have much info yet).

Thats top factage my friend.

Surely thats a worlds first?

Perhaps even a sporting first?

Oohh Im almost moist with excitement now.

NQT said:
johnmc said:

The birthday of a true City legend. Neil Young was born in 1944.
Top scorer in our last Championship winning season (67-68)
Scored the only goal in our cup final win in 69
Scored one of our goals in the cup winners cup final 1970

Awesome. A football and rock legend.

Keep on rockin NQT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.