Random Facts About City

NQT said:
fbloke said:
Niall Quinn Scored at one end and saved a Penalty as replacement keeper at the other. Against Luton I think.

Derby County.
Dean Saunders took the pen and Derby were relegated that day.

I knew they played in white as I was in the Main Stand.

Funny how it wasnt City getting relegated in those days.

fbloke said:
The first club to hold a domestic and european trophy at the same time.

Sorry to say this but, it's not really true. We've all sort of ignored the fact that Leeds beat us to this. Leeds won the League Cup in 1968 and also the Fairs Cup in 1968 but the final of the Fairs Cup was held over until 1968-69. So a lot of people (including myself in the past) have said, well that isn't the same season then, so we did it first. But... Leeds won the League in 1968-69, so that means they did win two major trophies in the same season.

Sorry to kill the myth.

When we won the League Cup in 1970 it was the first time all 92 League clubs entered, so that's a bit of a random fact.

Gary James said:
fbloke said:

Sorry to say this but, it's not really true. We've all sort of ignored the fact that Leeds beat us to this. Leeds won the League Cup in 1968 and also the Fairs Cup in 1968 but the final of the Fairs Cup was held over until 1968-69. So a lot of people (including myself in the past) have said, well that isn't the same season then, so we did it first. But... Leeds won the League in 1968-69, so that means they did win two major trophies in the same season.

Sorry to kill the myth.

When we won the League Cup in 1970 it was the first time all 92 League clubs entered, so that's a bit of a random fact.

But Gary, with United not entering the '68 League Cup that has traditionally meant it wasn't regarded as a major trophy because not all top flight clubs entered.

Gary James said:
fbloke said:

Sorry to kill the myth.

La la la not listening to the first bit.

The second bit is a nice fact.

lancs blue said:
But Gary, with United not entering the '68 League Cup that has traditionally meant it wasn't regarded as a major trophy because not all top flight clubs entered.

Yeah, I know and that's the line I normally stick by, but unfortunately because Leeds won the League in 1968-69 and the Fairs Cup in August/September 1968 (the 2nd leg was on 11th Sept 68) technically they won 2 major trophies in the same season.

It's dodgy ground really because I agree that the League Cup couldn't be classed as major if several significant top flight sides don't enter, but because the final was held over Leeds fans could argue that the Fairs Cup and the League Championship trump our achievement in 1970.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.