3. Man City reserves
4. Man City EDS
5. Man City Under 20
6. Man City Under 18
7. Man City Under 16
8. Man City's Grounds Men XI
9. Man City's Cleaners XI

JJ
If you swap 2 and 3, think you’ve pretty much nailed it!?

Nope... the reality is you'd have to drop 2 down to 7th.

Yep, I remember a couple years ago the U.S. womens national team, one of the best in the world, lost to MLS side FC Dallas U15s. Obviously just a friendly but still.

They're not.

Real Madrid finished 2nd in their group last season behind Spurs. Spurs went out in the last 16, Real Madrid won the whole thing.

For the better sides the groups only matter as to which team you will draw in the last 16 (slightly better chance of an easier draw if you win your group).

There may be the odd year where 3 very good teams end up in the same group, then the groups become a bit more important.

So if City got knocked out in the group stages you’d think they were one of the best teams in the competition?

There’s no way any rational person can think the groups are irrelevant when looking at how good a team is.

So if City got knocked out in the group stages you’d think they were one of the best teams in the competition?

There’s no way any rational person can think the groups are irrelevant when looking at how good a team is.

Going out would be a different story but you can't really judge any of the 16 that went through based on their performances in the group stage which is what I was getting at.

Last night was a great example, Spurs were shite in the groups, unbelievably scraped through with 8 points. Dortmund topped their group with Atletico in there. Yet Spurs battered Dortmund.

Barca, Juve, Bayern and Real (can’t exclude a club that has won the past 3 CLs)

The first 3 clubs are winning leagues and cups every year as Pep said and are constantly in the semi finals of the CL or finals or winning it.

We have not reached that level yet. Ludicrous to call us the best team in Europe or one of the favorites for the Champions League when we never even made a final.

I would put us in the tier just below these 4. We are climbing but not there yet, hopefully we can make some more progress this year. I would be happy if we got to the semi finals again, anything more is a major plus.

Going out would be a different story but you can't really judge any of the 16 that went through based on their performances in the group stage which is what I was getting at.

Last night was a great example, Spurs were shite in the groups, unbelievably scraped through with 8 points. Dortmund topped their group with Atletico in there. Yet Spurs battered Dortmund.

Bollocks again.

Newcastle and Palace beat us, yet we mullered Chelsea 6-0.

You’re taking isolated incidents and using them to build your point around.

The only way to judge a team is via a run of games (a larger sample than your ‘picking and choosing’ method).

6 group games gives a good grasp of the level a team is at.

Watching United vs PSG got me thinking just how far United are behind the best teams in Europe. There is actually quite a big gap between those who can realistically win the Champions League and those who can't.

How would you rank them on form at the moment?

Changed my rankings at the original ranking was probably a bit unfair:

Best teams in Europe at the moment:
=1) City
=1) Liverpool
=1) Barcelona
=1) Juventus
5) Atletico
6) PSG
7) Spurs
8) Dortmund
9) Real Madrid (Can't really rule them out, even though they've been poor this season)

Real Madrid are way better than you have ranked them. Ok, a poor season for their standards but 2nd in La Liga and just 5 points off Barcelona. 2 away goals in their champions league game would suggest that they’re in the quarters. Plus they’ve won the thing for the last 3 years. Real are as good as anyone in Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.