• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it's been a pretty good window

Messi bullet dodged
Ronaldo 50 cal bullet dodged
Ghoulish
Kept hold of Bernado
Kept hold of Laporte

Would have liked an out and out striker but we can't have everything, my disappointment may well be tempered next year by the arrival of Alfies' lad

What's not to like?

Given that we spent the most money on a player of all time without addressing any of our glaring issues, underwhelming. If I was being very charitable with the striker situation I really don't understand the Mandy one, did the club have no idea this wasn't something that was likely to go down? and weren't there concerned with continuing to play a player with such charges hanging over him, we all took the moral high horse with John Terry, but.... this looks really bad all round

Last edited:
it's been a pretty good window

Messi bullet dodged
Ronaldo 50 cal bullet dodged
Ghoulish
Kept hold of Bernado
Kept hold of Laporte

Would have liked an out and out striker but we can't have everything, my disappointment may well be tempered next year by the arrival of Alfies' lad

What's not to like?

Totally agree, retaining what we have and building on it should be the aim.

This place has become so entitled since the CL final. Go and do a position by position comparison of our squad and Chelsea or United's, we are miles ahead in all but the striker position.

People have convinced themselves that we don't have the best squad in England and possible the world. To improve on that is very difficult as the pool of players to choose from is very small and very expensive.

Yes, we all want a new striker but I agree with other posters who say there is no point rushing in and getting a makeshift answer who will need replacing in 1/2 years themselves.

We had arguably our best ever season without a striker so can cope another year without one. Especially if that wait results in signing someone who sorts that position for the next 5/6 years.

7/10 for me.
I am not sure if we are miles ahead of Chelsea's squad.
But regardless of that the question posed was about the transfer window not about the overall squad which is clearly strong.
If people are bemoaning the squad yes it probably is a bit over entitled if people are questioning the success of the transfer window in terms of resources used I think there is reason.
We have lost a starting young Spanish International centre back on a free.
We have paid a British record fee for a very good player in a position in which we are already strong.
We have failed to sign a striker where there is an apparent need for one and we were apparently trying to recruit.
It may all turn out well and we still have a strong squad but I find it hard to declare the transfer window successful in terms of resources employed and our squads need.
We may not have reasonably been able to recruit players we wanted but I don't think it it looks like a great window.

I dont think keeping hold of players should be judged as a good window.....

Selling players is an important part of any transfer business for a club but its sounds a little desperate when we are using the fact that we kept players and didnt sell them as justifcation of a good window....I really rate Bernardo and Laporte (and Jesus) and wouldnt want any of them to leave BUT that doesnt consiitute a good window that they have stayed.....do we think Spurs will be saying they have had a good window because Kane stayed.....

We need to be continually strengthening and adding...with a successful team players like Bernardo shouldnt be looking to leave (and I understand that there are probably underlying factors in personal lives of players that can have a huge impact) but if he was to have gone for instance...or Laporte for example..it should have been because we were looking at bringing someone in better (and we werent)....the club should always be moving from a position of strength and "managing to keep hold of players" sounds weak and a bit desperate to me.

I went 8. Most of what I wanted I got.
  • I wanted the "Sterling on the left wing" problem fixed. Done.
  • I wanted to keep Bernardo in the center because he's awesome there. Done.
  • I wanted to keep Laporte so it's rare that 2 great CB can't play. Done.
  • I didn't want to spend a ludicrous amount on Kane. Done.
  • I still wanted a striker. Kane preferably if the money wasn't too silly. Not done.
  • I wanted a better LB than Mendy. Not done.
Fai point. I'll move my score to 7

In comparison to Chelsea and United I think we had a poor window. Time will tell but think they are both stronger and should make the title race close along with Liverpool. wonder if we would have made a move for Lukaku or even just Ings if we hadn’t been chasing Kane.

Time to give Ferran more games to see if he can deliver. Think he looks decent up front.

I dont think keeping hold of players should be judged as a good window.....

Selling players is an important part of any transfer business for a club but its sounds a little desperate when we are using the fact that we kept players and didnt sell them as justifcation of a good window....I really rate Bernardo and Laporte (and Jesus) and wouldnt want any of them to leave BUT that doesnt consiitute a good window that they have stayed.....do we think Spurs will be saying they have had a good window because Kane stayed.....

We need to be continually strengthening and adding...with a successful team players like Bernardo shouldnt be looking to leave (and I understand that there are probably underlying factors in personal lives of players that can have a huge impact) but if he was to have gone for instance...or Laporte for example..it should have been because we were looking at bringing someone in better (and we werent)....the club should always be moving from a position of strength and "managing to keep hold of players" sounds weak and a bit desperate to me.

We kept players who are better on the whole than the ones our rivals signed for equivalent roles.

We have ended the window with a stronger squad than we finished last season with.

We spent a considerable amount on one player who should prove to be significant both from a playing and commercial perspective. Grealish already looks like he will settle into playing a Pep game quickly.

We've also quietly signed a young kid from Brasil who could be a star; not sure if he could still go on loan in Europe or will be able to play in England.

Keeping our immensely talented squad in tact is important because of how Pep plays and how significant it is to learn positional play game. Our team should improve just for having another year of Pep ball under their wings. And, I am sure, we will see further developments this season.

Sure it's disappointing to not have signed a world class forward but we have young players who can develop their goal scoring potential further this season and have several fantastic possible permutations for a front three.

We have ended the window with a stronger squad than we finished last season with.
I'm not sure I would agree with you there, Grealish might prove a good addition(however we aren't without depth there already), but we lost our only true forward, we lost one of our LBs(a position was aren't overwhelmingly deep in)and Fernandinho is a year older in another position we are kind of light in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.