Rate Our Transfer Window

Rate our transfer window out of 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
9 . We keep Bernardo and Laporte and got Grealish.
Same here.

We got one top quality player and he will be a star for us. Other players of the calibre we want just weren't available this window.

Keeping the likes of Bernardo, Laporte and Jesus is also a big plus IMO. It would have been extremely difficult to replace them with similar quality.

Not great but not bad either.

My take for what it's worth.

Grealish was our main target...Looking back now giving him the number 10 was a big sign that Kane wasn't joining.
Kane was a deal that was a nice to have but we clearly were not going to be paying more than we thought he was worth, certainly nowhere near 150m+ (I'm guessing 120 including add-ons was our top price)...so it was Kane or bust on strikers.
I'm sure we were tempted by Ronaldo for all sorts of reasons. I doubt we'd have paid Juventus a fee and from all reports he'd have been on half of what he is on at United...It was inevitable that he'd end up there, there was no way they were going to allow him to join us and it smells exactly like the Sanchez deal.

I'd have liked some kind of striker, just to offer something a little different when our plan is working. A veteran that is a menace in the box that we can throw on for the last 15mins to get on the end of KDBs crosses, although Delap could be that plan B.

Will be interesting to see if we go all in for Haaland next year, a season is a long time in football and another player more suited to our system could emerge.

Either way I'd still have us favorites for this season.

Those 10 days with us playing Chelsea, PSG and Liverpool will give us a good indication of where we're at.

Up the blues!

Squads don't work like that if they did teams would always get better, because historical fitness is ranked against a full squad. Augero might not have played much last year due to injury, but in hindsight you are always counting past injuries but never future ones if KDB does his ACL in and is out for the season which squad is better? as for the whole LB thing, while playing Mendy with the charges hanging over him was questionable to say the least, you're not suggesting that by losing him we are stronger footballing wise are you?
The second is easy. We are clearly better off without Mendy. He would have to get some game time if we are paying him as much as we were. And there is no game where I would want him over Zinchenko, Cancelo or even Ake. So yes addition by subtraction.

On the first I have no idea what you are saying about past and future injuries. Aguero played virtually no part in last season so by definition we are not missing him this season. And he is injured again - which was sadly entirely predictable and the reason we did not renew his contract.

Cash in the bank doesn't work on the pitch. Liverpool have loads of cash in the bank. So did Arsenal.

10/10 lol. Be serious. To get 10/10 we'd have to have signed a forward, defensive midfielder and left back.

Its perfectly possibly to support City and still be critical of things we do you know. I bet you Khaldoon isn't happy.
What is there to be critical of?

We wanted Kane, the deal didn't work out, deals collapse all the time. It's life.

I'd rather sign no one then someone we never wanted who we are then stuck with for years.

I give it a 4. I like Grealish but 100 is way to much for him.

We didn’t address the positions we really needed and I think it will cost us. All this talk of left back being ok as we have Laporte and Ake for cover is rubbish. They are centre backs. Just because they are left footers doesn’t mean they can play left back. You wouldn’t want Gundogan to play right wing as he is right footed. Cancelo is a right back. I hate seeing right backs play left back. Always cutting in to get back on the dominant foot and not tackling with the left foot when the winger is going down the line.

Central midfield is as light as can be. Ferna is done unfortunately and Rodrigo although has great passing ranges and technique is not mobile enough to break up play and will cost us.

And up top is just crazy. Yes is all hipster to play false 9 but it’s being found out now and we need a forward and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Pep did want a forward and pretending otherwise is silly. Torres is doing ok but we can’t rely on him for the season and I know lots are pinning there hope on Delap being the answer but he isn’t yet and won’t be for a while.

For me and who was available this summer I would have gone for.

Nuno mendes
Saul/caminvga
Andre silva
That would have made us a lot stronger and addressed a lot of the imbalance in the squad.

We were well clear off the domestic field but now the pack has caught us up somewhat. In European terms, PSG are all well out in front, but still wouldn't want their business model. We needed another signing alongside the luxury of Grealish.
Season will be difficult, but interesting.
If going for the jugular whilst on top is your thing: 3-4.
If staff retention and "I never wanted him anyway": 10.

Last edited:
What is there to be critical of?

We wanted Kane, the deal didn't work out, deals collapse all the time. It's life.

I'd rather sign no one then someone we never wanted who we are then stuck with for years.
We have done that many times before - and if we did it again then perhaps the club genuinely deserves criticism

I remember days when the club was basically bankrupt - but we had more players on our books than most other clubs - that is bad management

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.