Rating English newspapers for transfer rumors

p.taker

I'm curious as to how blues would rate the English papers when it comes to the legitimacy of their transfer articles. I've been following City long enough to have a general idea, but would like to know what others think. Which papers would belong in the first tier, second tier, etc? Here is the rough idea I have in my head.

1st tier
The Times
The Guardian
M.E.N.

2nd tier
The Independent
Mirror
Daily Telegraph

3rd tier
Daily Express
Daily Mail
The Sun
Daily Star
Metro

I don't tier any of them.
They are all lying, gutterpress with sole intentions of scaremongering the general public.

Most (if not all) of the journo's main sources are the same sources as casual footy fans with twitter accounts or people on here.
Seen it many times where a poster here has posted up a rumour, and a few days later a journalist has seen it on here or Twitter (after someone has seen it here then tweeted it) and the news story then appears in a newspaper the following day as an "exclusive"

I don't tier any of them.
They are all lying, gutterpress with sole intentions of scaremongering the general public.

Most (if not all) of the journo's main sources are the same sources as casual footy fans with twitter accounts or people on here.
Seen it many times where a poster here has posted up a rumour, and a few days later a journalist has seen it on here or Twitter (after someone has seen it here then tweeted it) and the news story then appears in a newspaper the following day as an "exclusive"

This.

The standard of the media is crap and anything they print will come from forums or
twatter.

All bottom tier. None of them have a clue, just read the gossip in the Sunday papers, I would say only a few percent comes true and often its 2nd hand news. When they quote things like it will cost us 110 million for Pogba and say how much his wages are, his much his signing on fee will be, sorry but its a pile of crap and numbers are just plucked from thin air. As if City or anyone would ever tell anyone but the player and agent the wages and bonus's etc

None are really reliable but a few of the tier ones tend to be more reliable than others

Newspapers are the worst source of transfer news these days, here's how it works:
Random Twitter KFA tweets: "Man City are understood to have made an approach to sign *insert random footballer* for £25M"
Newspaper reporter who happens to follow the KFA then repeats the story as a exclusive the following day.

Every other newspaper then jumps on the bandwagon and reprints the story but increase the amount bid until some mouth breather at the Mirror takes a break from licking windows long enough to adapt the story to "*insert random footballer* set to SNUB moneybags Man City and sign for united despite City offering triple the wages"

After a week or so when it is clear it was made up, everybody then runs the story that "*insert random player* will not be signing for Man City despite being offered £10M per week wages", rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.