Ray Goble

Just thinking reading this again, it was as if you Gary were their apprentice..... And they all knew that the histiry of City would be safe in your hands long after they were gone.... (If so, possibly more than they could have imagined!)
A question though.... Is their an apprentice coming up that you are / could be training? Of course i hope you live to be 100 but soneone has to carry the baton handed to you....

Just thinking reading this again, it was as if you Gary were their apprentice..... And they all knew that the histiry of City would be safe in your hands long after they were gone.... (If so, possibly more than they could have imagined!)
A question though.... Is their an apprentice coming up that you are / could be training? Of course i hope you live to be 100 but soneone has to carry the baton handed to you....
MES, how right you are. Our historians, in all fields, need new blood to carry the torch of the past and teach us about the present.

Was thinking the same thing. Gary, when your eyes get too blurry from staring at all those microfiches in the M/cr Local History Library you'll need a youngster to train up to the job. Mind, the next generation might be so much into their social media instant entertainment they won't have the patience for doing proper research. But with every match on YouTube and every player interviewed on City tv there's far more material now than any historian can handle, and as for football journalists where nowadays are the likes of Eric Todd or Don Davies ("Old International" ) or Frank Keating who could paint pictures with their words?

Last edited:
I spent a good chunk of my youth studying stats from that book. It’s how I came to learn about players like Billy Meredith and Frank Swift. Loved studying our attendances and line ups for every game throughout the years.

Obviously I didn’t know Ray, but have a lot to thank him for. RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.