Ray Reardon R.I.P

jimharri

Just noticed that Ray passed away on friday, aged 91. In the 1970s, he was the main man in the snooker world, winning 6 World titles between 1970 and 1978. He won the inaugural series of "Pot Black" in 1969. That era also benefited from the widespread introduction of colour TV in the late 60s. In that era, snooker seemed to be dominated by middle aged men; Reardon, Eddie Charlton, John Spencer, Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor, Alex Higgins etc.

RIP Ray. Quite a character.

I don’t think the game has really changed regarding the age of the winners of the major tournaments when you look back.

Just noticed that Ray passed away on friday, aged 91. In the 1970s, he was the main man in the snooker world, winning 6 World titles between 1970 and 1978. He won the inaugural series of "Pot Black" in 1969. That era also benefited from the widespread introduction of colour TV in the late 60s. In that era, snooker seemed to be dominated by middle aged men; Reardon, Eddie Charlton, John Spencer, Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor, Alex Higgins etc.
Old man Higgins was 22 when he won the world title.
Spencer was ancient, all of 34, when he won it, same age at which Taylor first won it.
Pah! Those old old men.

Last edited:
RIP a total gentleman but I loved it when Alex Higgins used to wind him up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.