Reading Challenge 2021

I'm With Stupid

When we did the Top 100 books thread, loads of people said they wanted to do a bit more reading, so I thought we could make a challenge of it. Here are the rules:

1. Pick a target (e.g. 25 or 50 for the year)
2. Books have to be more than 50 pages
3. Books that you started reading in 2020 but finished in 2021 can be included
4. Audiobooks are fine
5. Books within books (e.g. the complete works of Shakespeare) are counted individually

When you've finished a book, keep a list on the thread and maybe post a few thoughts about it. This is good for giving other people ideas about what to read next.

Anyone interested?

Am currently reading...

The Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman.
The Redeemed - M.R.Hall.
King Arthur - Tony Sullivan.
From the Oasthouse (Audible) - Alan Partridge.
The Winter King (Kindle) - Bernard Cornwell.

I usually have a couple of threads going on LibraryThing (where I keep my books catologued) in 2 different groups and writing mini-reviews for what I read. One of which is a "challenge" group called the Category Challenge. You pick your own categories and set yourelf a target but it doesn't matter how you define what fits where as it isn't too serious. Started doing this in 2009 as a way to broaden my reading as I used to just stick in the SF&F genre. Didn't have the interest to keep up with it this year though even before the pandemic hit.

I'm up for this. I read pretty much everyday, but given that a lot of the books that I read are pretty long, I'll do well the reach 20. Glad we can include stuff we've started as I still have 70% of "The Stand" to go, so that's about 900 pages!

Currently on Play The Red Queen by Juris Jurjevics about 30% to go and it needs to ramp up a little.

Audiobook in the car Spy Sinker by Len Deighton about 30 mins off finishing, quite excellent story and Narration

Next up Gnomon by Nick Harkaway on Kindle and might have another listen to kolymsky heights by lionel davidson which is one of my top 50 books and a great Audio Book as well as physical read.

I didn't participate in the top 100 books thread as I read almost exclusively history and biography now and have done for 30 years (I think I burned out on the novel as an English major in college!). Most of my story-like "entertainment" comes from TV shows I watch with my wife (currently The Mandalorian, Schitt's Creek and Ted Lasso). I'm also a fairly voracious consumer of newspapers and magazines.

I'm currently reading "New World Coming: The 1920s and the Making Of Modern America" by Nathan Miller, as I suspected some parallels post-COVID between the era following the Spanish Flu and now. Not sure this book will confirm them thus far. I have a goal to read two books/month in 21 so we'll see if I make it.

Funnily enough based on the best 100 books thread I decided to revisit a few of the classics and also read those with positive views I think I would find interesting.

So far I have read Lord of the Rings and currently 50 pages into Catch 22.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.