4. The Midnight Library - Matt Haig - 6/10
5. Crowfall - Ed McDonald - 7/10
6. Force of Nature - Jane Harper - 8/10
7. The Wolf's Call: Book One of Raven's Blade - 7/10
8. The Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman - 6/10
9. Tornado Down - John Peters and John Nichol - 9/10
10. The Black Song: Book Two of Raven's Blade - 6/10

The Black Song.jpg
Not much to say about this one – it’s the second (and concluding) book in the Raven’s Blade duology. It was one of those books that, whilst not badly written, felt like a tedious slog to get through. There’s one battle, then there’s another, followed by another, a bit of talking and then another battle. It’s a shame that Anthony Ryan has never re-captured the excitement of Blood Song.

I'm not a fast reader, but I've now got through 2/3 of The Lies of Locke Lamora. Hope to finish it in the next few days. I'm very grateful for the recommendation @RobMCFC.

I'm not a fast reader, but I've now got through 2/3 of The Lies of Locke Lamora. Hope to finish it in the next few days. I'm very grateful for the recommendation @RobMCFC.
No worries - it’s great that you are enjoying it. I am on a mission to make as much of the planet read this (and The Shadow of the Wind) as I can, so I can tick tick you off the “Locke Lamora” list now!

No worries - it’s great that you are enjoying it. I am on a mission to make as much of the planet read this (and The Shadow of the Wind) as I can, so I can tick tick you off the “Locke Lamora” list now!
I've got The Shadow of the Wind too. I'll save it for later on this year though.

1. The Willows in Winter - William Horwood.
2. The Willows and Beyond - William Horwood.
3. A Brief History of the Cold War - John Hughes-Wilson.
4. Prophecy - S. J. Parris.
5. The Long Night - Ernst Israel Bornstein.
6. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne.
7. SAS Great Escapes - Damien Lewis.
8. Dominion - C. J. Sansom.
9. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch.

An excellent book - a real page turner. Nothing is as it seems, yet it all comes together nicely at the end.

I'm on a boat to the Isle of Mull, having just finished the book, and now wondering what to turn to next, as I start a week's holiday. I think I might go for a history book.

Just finished Terri Hooleys book on music in Northern Ireland in 70s/80s, enjoyed it and brought back some happy memories of bands, pubs and people from that time when I was going to college in Belfast.

Last edited:
10. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro.

A much gentler reminiscence from a bygone era, in which Mr Stevens reflects on his career as an elite butler, serving in one of England's most prominent houses. His interactions with Miss Kenton are illuminating, and although there might be regrets from both sides, what is important is to make the most of the what is left of their lives.

10. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro.
11. SAS: Rogue Heroes - Ben MacIntyre.

A history of how the SAS was formed, and the role of the British SAS during the first world war. I've read quite a few of Macintyre's histories, and they are all excellent, very well researched accounts. This one follows the SAS into action in North Africa, Europe and Italy, before entering Germany in 1945, where they are the first allied soldiers to witness the horrors of the Belsen concentration camp. I marvel at the bravery of some of these soldiers.

Once I learned to read as a child I was quite an avid reader. One of the first books I remember having a big impact on me as a young teen was a Clockwork orange, by Anthony Burgess. I only bought it because of the furore surrounding the film of the same name. As I was too young to go and watch it I bought the book. It was way ahead of its time, even more so considering it was first written in 1962. Burgess also grew up in Manchester as a child. I was gutted when Kubrick, disturbed by the violence the film was responsible for in real life, banned it from cinemas. I didn't get to watch it years later after Kubrick's death when it was shown again. An interesting write up on the book here

When I went away to sea at the age of 17 reading was my big form of escapism. This was in the days before video's and the internet so reading was a great pastime. I read his hundreds of books but remember very few sadly. One I do remember was Papillon. Reading about his tough life on Devils island made my so called tough life at sea more bearable. I thought if he can survive that I can survive this.

I'll try and remember others I have read, but these two stick in my memory for different reasons.

I just remembered the series of Sven Hassel books.about a Dane who ended up fighting on the Russian front in a German penal battalion. While highlighting the futile brutality of war the books are highly entertaining due to the crazy characters who fought alongside him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.