Reading Challenge 2022

The Stranger Times by C. K. McDonnell

To escape the failure of her marriage and what her life has become since, Hannah Willis has found herself a new job. Not the one she really wanted but beggars can’t be choosers. So what’s involved being the assistant editor of a periodical reporting on the weird, supernatural and other things that go bump in the night? Having to put up with a foul-mouthed, foul-tempered sop of a boss for one. Also investigating the suspicious death of young would-be reporter Simon that police have deemed a suicide. Can Hannah, her boss and the rest of the staff find out what’s really going on before the body count begins to rise even further? Not forgetting that they still have to publish this week’s issue.

Urban fantasy set in Manchester, how could I refuse? And with the many good reviews of the author’s work recently I thought I’d dip my toe in with this one and what a good choice it was. I would set it closer to the Rivers of London end of the UF spectrum rather than the Dresden Files with the cutting dialogue providing much of the humour. The characters are well drawn with hints (and more) of back-story for each of them maybe to be examined further in subsequent books (a 2nd is already available). It takes a while to set things up and there’s a few detours on the way but this is a fun adventure and a fine first foray into a different setting for the author. 4★'s

Standing Alone by Sam Lee, Daniel Taylor & Oliver Kay

Mainly a collection of articles written during the 2020/2021 football season of Manchester City FC. Starting from the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport to the Champions League final at the end of May, this is a monthly examination of the key events that occurred during the season. It ends with descriptions of the players from some coaches from earlier in their career in a |”those who moulded them” retrospective.

This was not a book that I would seek to own as the press, from which the authors originate, usually incorporate the negative aspect when reporting on City. But, as it was a Christmas present I felt obliged to get around to reading it. While there is still some of that less than enthusiastic style to the articles the book is directed mainly at the City fandom and so there are some really nice chapters. The one on Guardiola & Bielsa’s relationship in particular is a nice piece. 3½★'s
Loved The Stranger Times. Had a signed 1st edition. Gave it to a charity book shop that gives away books for free. A year later it's still in the shop.

1. Winter - Len Deighton - 7/10
2. The Last Great Mountain - Mick Conefrey - 6/10
3. Pegasus Bridge - Stephen E. Ambrose - 6/10
4. The Dead of Jericho - Colin Dexter - 7/10
5. Agent Sonya - Ben MacIntyre - 7/10
6. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - 9/10
7. Macbeth - A. J. Hartley and David Hewson - 9/10
8. The Ashes of London - Andrew Taylor - 7/10

I read this following the recommendation from @stoneblue. This is the first book in the series featuring James Marwood and Cat Lovett, set in London in 1666 in the aftermath of the great fire.

Marwood is assigned to investigate a couple of murders, and there are lots of twists and turns as he goes about his job. The author keeps it authentic throughout, and it all ties together nicely, though without any major plot surprises.

There's enough in this to maintain my interest in the series, but not enough to make me rush out to buy book 2.

As with others in this thread, I also enjoy historical fiction from this era. Other authors writing similar stuff to this are C J Sansom with his Matthew Shardlake series and S J Parris' Bruno Giordano books.

Also check out David Liss, who has a few excellent books set in 18th and 19th century London.
d5fe015fab538a5b33024a5ebd9a43be.jpg

Just finished Doug Beattie An ordinary soldier. It's story of his short time on front line of Afghanistan. I really enjoyed it and thought fantastic insight into life there fighting with the Afghan army. I have followed Doug's political career so wanted a further insight into the man. I'd highly recommend it if like books about conflict. Downloaded 'Beyond, the first human to leave our planet' so that's next on Kindle

Finished The Torrent by Dinuka McKenzie yesterday. It is Australian police thriller. Thought was ok but not as good some of the Jane Harper books I've read imo. Latest Jack Reacher book The Sentinel is next on agenda. Edited to say. Few pages in realised I read The Sentinel last year. Opps now to find something else

Last edited:
1. The Spirit Engineer - A.J.West - 7/10
2. The Lost Man - Jane Harper - 8/10
3. The Fall of Babel – Josiah Bancroft - 5/10
4. The Forest – Michaelbrent Collings – 3/10
5. Black River – Will Dean – 7/10
6. Winter is Coming – Garry Kasparov – 9/10
7. Archangel – Robert Harris – 8/10
8. The Justice of Kings – Richard Swan - 8/10

Justice.jpg

The Justice of Kings – Richard Swan​

It was good to get back into my favourite genre, fantasy, with this excellent debut from Richard Swan. He’s a lawyer, which makes sense when you find out that the protagonist, Sir Konrad Vonvalt, is a wandering magistrate who has license to act as judge, jury and executioner in the name of the Emperor. The story is told through the words of his 19-year-old clerk, Helena, and it’s really well written, Helena’s character doing a nice job of fleshing the story out as she tells us about events that happened many years ago. Whilst not in the Joe Abercrombie/Scott Lynch league, I thought most of the characters were well-defined and seeing Vonvalt change through the eyes of Helena was one of the major themes of this book. The two take on a case in a small town, but it’s clear that this is the introduction to a larger events about to happen in their world. What I liked about this book is that it didn’t get bogged down in explaining everything about the world. The author continually dropped things into the mix and left you to draw your own conclusions about some of them. Most of the book is dialogue/actions concerning the twists and turns in the legal case, but it’s easy to follow and when the short action sequences occur, they are nicely realised, and in some cases, shocking. A promising debut and I look forward to the next in the series, which is set up nicely as this book draws to a close.

1. The Spirit Engineer - A.J.West - 7/10
2. The Lost Man - Jane Harper - 8/10
3. The Fall of Babel – Josiah Bancroft - 5/10
4. The Forest – Michaelbrent Collings – 3/10
5. Black River – Will Dean – 7/10
6. Winter is Coming – Garry Kasparov – 9/10
7. Archangel – Robert Harris – 8/10
8. The Justice of Kings – Richard Swan - 8/10

View attachment 45619

The Justice of Kings – Richard Swan​

It was good to get back into my favourite genre, fantasy, with this excellent debut from Richard Swan. He’s a lawyer, which makes sense when you find out that the protagonist, Sir Konrad Vonvalt, is a wandering magistrate who has license to act as judge, jury and executioner in the name of the Emperor. The story is told through the words of his 19-year-old clerk, Helena, and it’s really well written, Helena’s character doing a nice job of fleshing the story out as she tells us about events that happened many years ago. Whilst not in the Joe Abercrombie/Scott Lynch league, I thought most of the characters were well-defined and seeing Vonvalt change through the eyes of Helena was one of the major themes of this book. The two take on a case in a small town, but it’s clear that this is the introduction to a larger events about to happen in their world. What I liked about this book is that it didn’t get bogged down in explaining everything about the world. The author continually dropped things into the mix and left you to draw your own conclusions about some of them. Most of the book is dialogue/actions concerning the twists and turns in the legal case, but it’s easy to follow and when the short action sequences occur, they are nicely realised, and in some cases, shocking. A promising debut and I look forward to the next in the series, which is set up nicely as this book draws to a close.
Careful, yer'll be buying an ST at The Swamp next!

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Having devoured most of her Vorkosigan science fiction series I thought it was time to give the author’s efforts in the fantasy genre a go.

Cazaril returns to a noble house thinking to beg a lowly position as a page but finds himself rewarded for past service with the position of secretary-tutor to Iselle, sister of Teidez who is destined to rule Chalion. The problems only really start for Cazaril when Teidez, along with his sister, is summoned to court where an old enmity resurfaces which may have ramifications for his ward and her brother.

Although this is a fairly standard fantasy trope it is, as I have come to expect from the author, well-written with excellent characters that bring the story to life. It does have a bit of a slow start as the scene is set but it all proves necessary in the end. It’s not an action-oriented tale but more political manoeuvring and while there are some bits of fighting along the way it’s not what drives the story on. While this book is part of a series (there’s a sequel & a prequel along with some novella’s) it is fully contained and can be read as a stand-alone novel. I’m not averse to reading more from this world though at some point. 4★'s

Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates

How do you get into the mind of a psychopath? This author takes us right there without any seeming difficulty. Quentin is a young man from a good family who, as the result of a past crime, requires regular psychiatric counselling and medicinal help to keep him on the straight and narrow. He just wants to be left alone so that he can perfect a trans-orbital lobotomy technique to create his very own sex slave. He has the icepick already and now all he needs is a specimen.

Due to the subject matter this is a hard book to read at times. It uses both first and third person viewpoints to drive the narrative forward. It’s not what I would call an enjoyable story but it is a well written one that does exactly what it sets out to do in disturb the reader. For that reason I’m not going to give this book a rating.

For a second there I thought City had agreed to play Reading FC in a friendly.

1. Winter - Len Deighton - 7/10
2. The Last Great Mountain - Mick Conefrey - 6/10
3. Pegasus Bridge - Stephen E. Ambrose - 6/10
4. The Dead of Jericho - Colin Dexter - 7/10
5. Agent Sonya - Ben MacIntyre - 7/10
6. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - 9/10
7. Macbeth - A. J. Hartley and David Hewson - 9/10
8. The Ashes of London - Andrew Taylor - 7/10
9. Ashendon - W. Somerset Maugham - 5/10

Ashendon is a British secret agent working against German interests in 1917, towards the end of WW1. The collection of tales are based on Maugham's own experiences. Being an author and fluent in a number of European languages, he was in a good position to carry out this work.

Ashendon barely gets in any danger himself, apart from the final story when he ends up in Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution, working as a translator for an American businessman. In the main, he handles other paid agents, or he persuades targets and enemy agents into various actions, many of which result in their capture and subsequent deaths.

It's fairly mild stuff compared with what we are used to from WW2 espionage, James Bond, the Cold War etc. But it is well written and an easy read (or listen in my case). Hence although I enjoyed the book, I can't really recommend it any higher than a five out of ten.
a879a17e51e3f322d27db81e86f1f39e.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.