Real Madrid (A) - CL R16 Post Match thread

Is it just me or was the VAR much better and more efficient in these European games than in the league?
I was going to say that. I've just watched the Chelsea and City games back to back and it was just football. Our game last night was superbly refereed.

However if I think back tolast season's group games (Ota at Schalke, and the Q/F 2nd leg v Spurs), I think the VAR system makes for a poorer experience for fans and players.

Jesus isn’t the natural successor to Aguero, but he should be given the chance to make the left attacking spot his own after that performance. Get Sterling on the right and that is as hard working and potentially lethal front three as anyone. Obviously I’d love to see Sane there, but he isn’t staying, and even if he does, Pep doesn’t trust him

very very good result, and a wonderful performance. All players did well, praise for Jesus, De Bruyne and Gundogan in particular.

i was convinced they would chalk of Jesus's goal for a 'push'
At the game the fans were very critical of Mendy for about 15 mins of the first half and Gundogan for most of the second half.
Amazing how Mendy can play great but have a spell where he looks hopeless.

Ok watching it now online (BT commentary) because last night I watched our own disgraceful game instead:

1st half impressions:
I first read the Real fans' banner as "menstrual"
• how pleasant to watch two teams who can actually pass the ball, it's curing my eyes
• that McManamann guy is from Liverpool right? It's one of the few accents I can place. Every time I get him on a game I'm watching he's a twat though, he ruins the commentary for me
• City have been dangerous on occasions but I'd say Real have had the better chances in this half. City seem very comfortable though. Very enjoyable game.
I watched your game on BT Sport afterwards. In the highlights it showed Dybala going close. I would still expect Juventus to go through.

Ok watching it now online (BT commentary) because last night I watched our own disgraceful game instead:

1st half impressions:
I first read the Real fans' banner as "menstrual"
• how pleasant to watch two teams who can actually pass the ball, it's curing my eyes
• that McManamann guy is from Liverpool right? It's one of the few accents I can place. Every time I get him on a game I'm watching he's a twat though, he ruins the commentary for me
• City have been dangerous on occasions but I'd say Real have had the better chances in this half. City seem very comfortable though. Very enjoyable game.

Yes he is.

The twat had a cameo at City for a season, at the end of his career, he was shite and lazy. obviously being there for one last pay day and we never got on with him.

He’s hated us since.

I thought the score line reflected the play. We were the better side and could have finished the tie towards the end.

Not seen it mentioned much but shout out to Ederson for his save against Benzema. Brilliant stuff.

After 10 minutes I said to my son we need more from Gundo here because I don't know what he's doing. Let's keep an eye on him. Glad he proved I'm a know nothing muppet. Also said to my son "Where's Jesus?" before he suddenly sprung from left back and won the ball in their half and nearly scored. What a performance from him! Mature goal scored and could have had 3 or 4.

Great performance but most pleased by our lack of panic which normally typifies a loss by us. When we had the potential to wobble (ie their goal and the couple of minutes of misplaced passes in the first half) we kept cool and got it together again.

Genuinely a little worried about left back for the return leg as Mendy has been playing well recently. His legs look slowly to be returning.

Jesus isn’t the natural successor to Aguero, but he should be given the chance to make the left attacking spot his own after that performance. Get Sterling on the right and that is as hard working and potentially lethal front three as anyone. Obviously I’d love to see Sane there, but he isn’t staying, and even if he does, Pep doesn’t trust him
Real Madrid's defenders look susceptible to pace in behind. We got in quite a few times (Mahrez, Jesus, and the Sterling pen.). I thought it was our defence that would struggle if they got caught 1 on 1, but it was Real Madrid who struggled.

Not sure what game our friend Miguel Delaney was watching, but he reckons Madrid had up to 70% possesion in the first half. No Miguel, it was 52/48.

Last edited:
Not seen it mentioned much but shout out to Ederson for his save against Benzema. Brilliant stuff.

After 10 minutes I said to my son we need more from Gundo here because I don't know what he's doing. Let's keep an eye on him. Glad he proved I'm a know nothing muppet. Also said to my son "Where's Jesus?" before he suddenly sprung from left back and won the ball in their half and nearly scored. What a performance from him! Mature goal scored and could have had 3 or 4.

Great performance but most pleased by our lack of panic which normally typifies a loss by us. When we had the potential to wobble (ie their goal and the couple of minutes of misplaced passes in the first half) we kept cool and got it together again.

Genuinely a little worried about left back for the return leg as Mendy has been playing well recently. His legs look slowly to be returning.
Zinchenko? Angelino has been paying very well for RB Leipzig. He would have been useful.

Cant believe we have just beat Madrid in their own back yard and I'm still slightly disappointed, I suppose it shows how far we have come. With some better finishing, we could be 2/3/4 goals ahead.
Unbelievable performance from KDB

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.