Real Madrid Vs Manchester City Post Match Thread

Re: Real Madrid Vs Manchester City Post Match Threads

tolmie's hairdoo said:
BillyShears said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I don't know what solution there can be for this?

Make sure we have an outlet. Being pressed high up the field is one thing - but leaving Tevez with no-one within 15/20 yards of him means that the "out" balls come straight back at us. We looked dangerous when Yaya made those bursts of his, but really I felt we were far too deep as a team and the gaps between midfield and our forward/s were just too big. This surprised me because having seen Real's midfield three, expected us to try and press them just as much. Essien, Alonso, Khedeira are hardly the most mobile trio.

I said last night I think we got the team shape just right - the difference for me was in the execution. If you look at when we played United at Old Trafford last season or in the FA Cup semi the season before, a standout feature was our desire to take the ball of their midfielders rather than standing off them and getting right back into our shape as soon as we lost possession. We were far more tentative last night and it still nearly paid off.

The shape may have been right, but the personnel was a possible failing for me.

Whether it be Real Madrid in the Bernabeu, or Stoke at the Britannia, I genuinely believe we cannot afford the luxury of both Silva and Nasri in the same team.

At home, yeah, sure, all day long.

But away, I don't believe or expect either of these lads to have the required effort in their locker to not leave us open somewhere on the counter attack.

I agree re a focus up top, and Dzeko is now chomping at the bit, shades of Adam Johnson the way he made a point of gesturing to his name on the back of his shirt after scoring.

I agree with most of this and it is relevant to the decline in our away results. I think realistically the home outcomes this year will not be as brilliant as last year. But the real key is improving the away results and that goes for not just in Dortmund or Madrid, but games like Sunderland and Everton. In my view Nasri should have been on the bench last night, and I would have played Dzeko. I believe that it is too much of a luxury to have both Silva and Nasri in the team at away games, and this relates to the similarities of their styles. Both are creative players who are not great defenders. In away games I believe that we should only have one of these players on the pitch. This would then allow the addition of a Milner to provide coverage up and down the park.

I also have serious reservations about Maicon. Zaba and or Micah should be picked ahead of him. I also believe that Rodwell should have played. I don't think Barry was fit enough for last nights game and Rodwell is also faster.

I think it is vital for the leadership group to sit down and discuss long and hard the structure for away games. This is the major area to improve this season. Clearly we didn't get it right last season and there are worrying signs again this year.

Hinchcliffe's header said:
strongbowholic said:
Hugely proud of the effort. Hugely naive performance at times.

You may say this is knee jerk but it is merely an opinion (you'll also know I am a huge Mancini fan), this season will:

See us win nowt

See us sack Bob

That is a prediction
, not a request before anyone has a pop. Whilst I can forgive a bit of naivety in the Bernabeu, we really need to address the complacency elsewhere otherwise we will be one season wonders.

Wow. Based on what? 4 league games and a narrow defeat at the most successful team on the planet?

Go easy on the Strongbow, Peter Swales Mk2

Chill. Eveythings ok in the end. If it isn't ok, it isnt the end.
Will do mate - and feel free to dredge that post up again at the end of the season to show I'm a pillock :-)

Sadly though, last night aside, there is a very worrying complacency about us in the league at the moment.

Ok it's only one game down& if after the next 5 we have qualified I will admit I was wrong - but I have the feeling that European football may be a step too far for Mancini. He failed to make an impression in Italy and is now looking vulnerable here aswell. Obviously his success rate domestically cannot be questioned , and I hate to have to agree with Mourinho , but when he said that City would win the CL but probably not with Mancini in charge, I think he has a point. It may be that this was the start of a job application on his behalf, but there is no room for sentiment in this game and I just think that another European failure will be noted in Abu Dhabi, given the need for the prestige and media coverage ( not to mention revenue ) that success would bring.With this squad domestically I think we will always be alright , but I am becoming worried that we won't be able to take the next step up in Europe , and that is surely what the owners will expect.

BillyShears said:
Comrade Buka said:
Jumanji said:
The fact that the FBs were constantly left in 1 vs 1 situations without any kind of support costed City two goals (and could have been more).

Shameful tactics. You have to defend Madrid's players 2 v 1 on the flanks or you will get smoked.

+1

It's not rocket science, really.

I think the idea was to flood the penalty area with players and leave Madrid the wide areas on the basis that we could deal with balls crossed into the box and long range shots from the angles. The issue for me was that we didn't have anyone trying to push Marcelo back. Nasri was never going to have the legs/energy to do that, hence we should've started with Milner. Who incidentally would've provided more cover for the fullback too.

I know people think the Kola/Nasri switch was a good one - but for me it was actually a very poor one for two reasons a) because we shored up our left, Madrid's right, which was unnecessary, and b) because Milner would've done what i've said above, AND is far more versatile in terms of how we used our final substitution.

Unfortunately Nasri has been a passenger for far too long. Yaya in the hole is a given, playing him deep is a waste of talent. Which leaves two forwards, alternatively lone forward and a winger, and Silva. Absolutely no room for Nasri.

With Rodwell, Garcia and Barry, the holding midfielder roles are covered, no need for Yaya to play deep.

For me, Nasri must prove his worth, or he should only start in the lesser games.

Had I been in charge of the lineup yesterday:

Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Lescott - Clichy
Garcia/Barry- Rodwell
Milner - Yaya - Silva
Tevez/Dzeko

Milner is by no means a better footballer than Nasri, but Nasri doesn't offer the tracking back and defensive abilities Milner does. Leaving Maicon alone against Ronaldo and Marcelo proved to be our downfall, as stated. And Garcia offered very little to help Maicon.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I do think the template for our opponents, especially away from home was again laid bare.

Real did it, Liverpool did it, Everton always do it.

Press us high up the field, we can't retain possession half as well, the ball invariably goes back to Hart, who is forced to hoof, and puts us on back foot once again.

I don't know what solution there can be for this?

To dominate the midfield, perhaps?
I don't know why Bobby used both Silva and Nasri with tevez who was often isolated. If we can form a solid midfield, then we can dictate the tempo of the game from the midfield with pace, positioning and physicality.

I thought Kompany was dire last night. Concerned for his form so far this season, his leadership and organizational skills seem to be lacking so far. Im more than confident he will turn it around but he was at fault for the Trannies goal last night. Never should he be ducking out of a ball heading towards him like that. Turning your back is bad enough but to duck it left Joe with no chance.

Not enough pressure and will to defend in numbers when we are away and away against sides that can press forward with coverage.

All in all lucky to lose by the odd goal in five.

Arsenal will not be afraid to come at us on Sunday and have more possession than we usually do at home.

Unless we tighten up in defense we will continue to leek goals.

Clean sheets are what we need now as the goals we know will come for us.

I really hope we get our first clean sheet on Sunday , its overdue now.

We made Tranny look like Iniesta 50 passes and 50 completed!! talk about getting close and not standing in awe admiring..

Zab has to take a look at himself for the last goal. He was square on with Ronaldo and then compounded it by committing himself which made Trannys mind up to go inside him instead of Zab pushing him wide. Schoolboy defending allround.

Hes the left back remember said:
Zab has to take a look at himself for the last goal. He was square on with Ronaldo and then compounded it by committing himself which made Trannys mind up to go inside him instead of Zab pushing him wide. Schoolboy defending allround.

Why do so called world class defenders always let Ronaldo come inside to hit shots? it's not just Zab who does that it happens in every game.. show him down the line to cross it because who hes crossing it to won't have a scoring record like his.. school boy error we showed our naivety in Europe we better learn fast.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.