Realistically

ello_jo

Although my topic title may not be spelt right, realistically I do not think that the board are going to sack Hughes. They have previously mentioned that they beleive in stability and Cook has come out to defend him so I doubt he will be sacked. To be honest I have been one to criticise Hughes lately and feel the teams position is poor but after reading a few threads here I have come to see the light and feel in the long run he could be good. Looking at David Moyes and how long he's been given at everton for an example, do you beleive that Hughes will make his mark on our city team? Can he turn us into a challenging premiership team? And do you think with this money he could change us and buy quality, looking at his previous buys Kompany, Swp, Zab I think he could. We cannot buy a squad full of superstars but I think he has got the quality to turn us into a fantastic team.
So from now on I am going to stop looking at the negatives and try and hope for the best from our manager who, honestly, seems to be here for a while.

I think realistically the owners will sack Hughes without a second thought if results don't improve.

So his first priority has got to to get a few wins on the board, that should take a lot of pressure off. I also don't buy the Moyes got time so we should give Hughes time, two totally different clubs at two totally different stages of their development, and with (hopefully) two different sets of ambitions.

So forget about giving Hughes time for the sake of it, Hughes has to show that he is worth keeping in a job. He can start with the wins I spoke about before, and by getting the best out of the (very good, and very expensively assembled) squad we already have. Then a few more signings in the Kompany/SWP mode will help his case enormously.

Finally, he will have to show that he is more than a manager that can sign and manage solid mid ranked players. We will need better than that, and Cook has already spoken about the need for Hughes to come out of his comfort zone.

It's a bit task for him, and made much harder by the circumstances surrounding the club. But there are hundreds of managers that would love to have his problems, if Hughes is to keep his job long term (or even short or medium) he will need to excel at the things above. Patience, , optimisim and blind hope will not help him.

I would have to agree, that he'll be at COMS at least until the end of the season.

I dont think the man is a mug by any means, if he went to the meetings in Abu Dhabi with his shit together and a clear plan of where he wants to take the club, I could see how the owners would buy in.

I think Hughes will come good also, but the team have to start improving on the pitch, and fast - talking a good game is one thing, but we are in the results business after all.

moomba said:
I think realistically the owners will sack Hughes without a second thought if results don't improve.

So his first priority has got to to get a few wins on the board, that should take a lot of pressure off. I also don't buy the Moyes got time so we should give Hughes time, two totally different clubs at two totally different stages of their development, and with (hopefully) two different sets of ambitions.

So forget about giving Hughes time for the sake of it, Hughes has to show that he is worth keeping in a job. He can start with the wins I spoke about before, and by getting the best out of the (very good, and very expensively assembled) squad we already have. Then a few more signings in the Kompany/SWP mode will help his case enormously.

Finally, he will have to show that he is more than a manager that can sign and manage solid mid ranked players. We will need better than that, and Cook has already spoken about the need for Hughes to come out of his comfort zone.

It's a bit task for him, and made much harder by the circumstances surrounding the club. But there are hundreds of managers that would love to have his problems, if Hughes is to keep his job long term (or even short or medium) he will need to excel at the things above. Patience, , optimisim and blind hope will not help him.
I agree with you about Hughes needing to prove himself more with wins etc. as any manager does. And I also know that everton was a bad example but I was jus tryin to show the difference that can be made if a manager is given time, instead look at martin o'neill, that is an example. He didn't come in and get judged straight away, people had beleif in him. I feel that city could be on the verge of something big and I don't think this is going to occur if we keep changing managers.
For once we have the advantage over teams and I don't think that we should ruin our chance by doing the typical city and changing manager unless they prove their worth in less than a season.

Not sure O'Neill is a great example either, he came in and improved Villa by about 5 positions on the table in his first season. If Hughes does the same by the end of the season I doubt there will be any criticism of him.

And personally I think we have the money to succeed whether we take on a patient approach, or we chop and change our managers. I'd certainly prefer we take a patient approach and I think thats the way our owners are thinking. But theres no point being patient for the wrong man, and that is the decision that they'll have to make in due course if things don't improve.

I can clearly recall ADUG making pledges to City in the long-term sense. So, in that respect, a five-year plan is an achievable goal. Sacking the gaffer will just make them look bad, and they're not having any of that.

I don't take a lot from any owner saying that the Manager's job is secure....no matter who the club or its owners.

Hughes' job will be built on results, nothing more and nothing less. The one thing I do believe however is that our owners are willing to give him until the end of the season at least. And that is fine by me.

moomba said:
Not sure O'Neill is a great example either, he came in and improved Villa by about 5 positions on the table in his first season. If Hughes does the same by the end of the season I doubt there will be any criticism of him.

And personally I think we have the money to succeed whether we take on a patient approach, or we chop and change our managers. I'd certainly prefer we take a patient approach and I think thats the way our owners are thinking. But theres no point being patient for the wrong man, and that is the decision that they'll have to make in due course if things don't improve.

I think Moomba is spot on , the only thing that remains is the actually timing of the dismissal IF things do not improve.

A better manager would be a better option most would agree even if it "destabilised" the club and most changes mid stream have helped clubs in trouble over the journey in years gone by especially a club with our resources and quality we do have depsite our defeciencies.

I think its far more our mental approach and our current mindset that is holding us back more than the talent and quality and skill base in the side.

Certainly on the latter score you couldn't get me to agree we are a team that should be placed in the relegation zone.

We have a series of games coming up against opposition we should be more than competitive against and if our side doesn't get its act together it curtains for MH.

Mancity1, spot on mate..
For me these next few games (seems like we say that every week now) are a real; test of MH capabilities as a manager.
Big signings are imminent we know but we have good team that should be beating the next opponents. We have failed to do that, so MH IS FAILING AT THE MOMENT, there is no question of that.
if he keeps failing, he goes. just like any job in any walk of life.

His test at present is to outwit tactically other manager with inferior teams that really only "out-muscle" us in midfield.

Before the signings come in, if i were MH I would throw more caution to the wind and really attack teams all out. if it goes wrong in the odd game but gets results in most, then he should do it. Think he plays a very conservative tactical approach with the flair we have and seems almost obsessed in defending the back 4 with hamann, kompany etc. also has get very narrow.
Could be make or break for him over the next 3 weeks, and his real strengths are SWP, Robinho and ireland who can destroy teams as we've seen.
No point playing it cagey at WBA or against Hull, lets just go for them big time and we could be flying up the table. Fulham were there for the taking, example.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.