Reasonably priced laptop

KnaresboroughBlue

My youngest daughter's school has set the children up with online lessons so they can keep on with their studies while they are off school. The platform seems to only really work well with Windows and everything we have at home is Apple and is in use for working from home anyway.

So I'm looking at picking up a reasonably p
riced Windows laptop for her birthday that she could use for that purpose and also for playing a few games.

I don't know much about Windows machines so would welcome any suggestions.

Your issue is the fact you say a few games mate.

If by that you mean simple online games like crossy road then anything will suffice but if you mean AAA titles then its going to cost a bomb.

Cheers. I don't suppose you would know if it would be suitable for playing a few games?

As above - what games. I have a half decent I5 machine and it does not play decent games. I suggest ignore the games and just get decent for the price you want to spend. You can get a perfectly functional mini PC for less than £100 if you have a spare screen and peripherals.

Cheers. I don't suppose you would know if it would be suitable for playing a few games?
It should be OK as it's a Pentium processor. The only downsides are that there's no built in disk drive, so you'd have to buy a USB one if you wanted to load anything from cd, and the storage is 128Gb, but you can buy extra storage cheaply enough or store stuff in a Cloud account.

For what you are after a second hand one from cash converters should see you just fine. A 200-250 lappy should get you 8GB ram and a good i3 chipset or, if lucky, i5. For that price you will likely get a mechanical drive so grab a 120GB ssd for 25 quid and slap that in, no technical skills needed, just a straight swap. The cost to performance increase make a cheap ssd a must. Would you be ok installing a windows OS onto that or?

For what you are after a second hand one from cash converters should see you just fine. A 200-250 lappy should get you 8GB ram and a good i3 chipset or, if lucky, i5. For that price you will likely get a mechanical drive so grab a 120GB ssd for 25 quid and slap that in, no technical skills needed, just a straight swap. The cost to performance increase make a cheap ssd a must. Would you be ok installing a windows OS onto that or?

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I've got a Lenovo Ideapad. Pentium processor &128Gb SSD so boots up quickly.

Nice and neat and seems to be robust and reliable. Just over £300 here: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...tel-pentium-128-gb-ssd-blue-10193166-pdt.html

My review of this is don't
I have an Ideapad and only use it for mucking about on the net, or streaming. It takes an age to boot up and the battery life isn't great, plus you have to have the screen at the exact angle or it's really poor

We bought my daughter an HP 15s-FQ0008HA for Uni and she loves it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.