Recommend a TV Box / Sky Alternative

I can't see anyone mentioning it but it is possibly the LNB (the white blob on the end of the arm) that's faulty, which will be a Sky HD compatible one if you're still using the box but it could also be the cable as it can suffer from water ingress. Depending where the dish is situated you may need to replace the full run. Usually however it's just the dish needs realigning.

The following is what you need to check the disk alignment and Google will help in setting it up (it's really easy as long as you can get to the dish).

The same could apply for the roof aerial re. the cable and if you are replacing the aerial (especially if it's an old non-digital one then I'd do the cable as well considering the fairly minimal extra cost.

Edit: no idea what's going on with the Amazon link as it's decided not to show it here but it's amazon.co.uk/sat-finder-HD-capable-positioning-controller-adaptation-Black/dp/B00O0YA868/

Much appreciated. I tried the Sky box again last night for the England match and it worked without issue so seems like an intermittent fault whatever it is.

I think I am going to get a Freesat box to replace the sky one. If (when) it starts playing up again I will look at the LNB first.

A strange pricing mechanism, wherebye a 2TB box is £3.99 cheaper than a 1TB box.

This lot were top of the tree for the manufacture of satellite equipment back in the day, that unit looks a bit pricey considering all it needs to do is stream programmes and record them.

Last edited:
Richer sounds have it at the same price but with a free 6 year warranty if you don't avail of the guarantee.

Weirdly you wont get all of the channels if you don't attach the unit to an ariel, there will be some freeview channels missing.

Seems a bit archaic really mate.

Weirdly you wont get all of the channels if you don't attach the unit to an ariel, there will be some freeview channels missing.

Seems a bit archaic really mate.
No, I wasnt in the market for one, as we currently use Sky for their award winning platform, allowing us to record up toseven programs. Only commented on Mr Wasp's post as I thought it a strange pricing mechanism a 2TB box was £3.99 cheaper than their 1TB. Cheapest basic Sky package £28 and then a magic stick for everything else.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.