Records that changed your life.....

andy h

......or the way you viewed music. Jim's Queen thread got me thinking about what albums affected my world view and shaped my taste in music. If I had a top five, I would have to say:

1) Queen - Sheer heart attack
2) Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
3) AC/DC - High Voltage
4) Van Halen - Van Halen
5) Sex Pistols - Never mind the bollocks

Some notable runners up:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Deep Purple - In rock
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Tale of the giant stone eater
Buzzcocks - Another music in a different kitchen

Probably shows my age somewhat

Think it was called "Room in your Life" by Kate Bush.

Completely changed the direction of my life in a profound way, after listening to it on my own one evening.

I can instantly think of 2 tunes that changed my life:
1. This Charming Man - The Smiths when I was 16.
2. Rebel without a pause - Public Enemy. This one especially, I'd always loved punk, then moved on to New Order, Smiths, indie stuff... Then one Thursday night in The Boardwalk, this Public Enemy choooon stopped me in my tracks. It had everything - the riot of punk noise, a ugly/angry voice and beats that I'd just never experienced before. Ever since that night I've had THE FUNK.

God bless Chuck D!!!

The first time I heard 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I was aware of Queen before that, without being a fan as such. Hearing that song persuaded me to buy "A Night at the Opera".
Queen.jpg

Quite an outlay, considering I was only 13 at the time! No looking back since then!

I wouldn't say any particular record has changed my life , or changed my world view ..... but many records remind me of certain stages in my life... places i've been to , or things that i've done.

A Rick Astley song for example (Never gonna give you up) reminds me of having a great time in a Hull pub back in 1987 before a City night match ..... i've never forgotten it to this day.

Lobos 'me and you and a dog named boo' reminds me of my carefree high school days in the early seventies , as it never seemed to be off the radio back then.

The Four Tops 'simple game' was the very first record that i ever bought back in the early seventies when i lived in that hellhole of a concrete jungle called Hulme. .

Snaps 'Rhythm is a dancer' reminds me of a holiday in Ibiza back in the days when that song was number one.

I could quote many examples , as we probably all could if we really sat and thought about it ......... Music is memories to me.

Swales lives said:
I can instantly think of 2 tunes that changed my life:
1. This Charming Man - The Smiths when I was 16.
2. Rebel without a pause - Public Enemy. This one especially, I'd always loved punk, then moved on to New Order, Smiths, indie stuff... Then one Thursday night in The Boardwalk, this Public Enemy choooon stopped me in my tracks. It had everything - the riot of punk noise, a ugly/angry voice and beats that I'd just never experienced before. Ever since that night I've had THE FUNK.

God bless Chuck D!!!

I'd second that, top tunes mate. PE are constantly overlooked when people chat hip hop on here, truth is, at their best, they were fucking immense.

Albums that stick out in my mind would be:

Nobody's Heroes - SLF
So What - Anti Nowhere League
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Automatic For The People - R.E.M.
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Mellon Collie - Smashing Pumpkins

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.