Redundancy query

staffs_blue

Had the dreaded news on Monday that my job is under threat. The very least will be a reduction in hours after the consultation period.

I am looking to cut back on my outgoings now and my question is this. 2 months ago I joined a gym and signed up for a 12 month contract. Obviously this is a luxury so I could do with cutting it out but am I now stuck with it?

Had the dreaded news on Monday that my job is under threat. The very least will be a reduction in hours after the consultation period.

I am looking to cut back on my outgoings now and my question is this. 2 months ago I joined a gym and signed up for a 12 month contract. Obviously this is a luxury so I could do with cutting it out but am I now stuck with it?
Should have been some sort of contract with terms and conditions when you signed up. Check if you got any documentation, like a welcome pack, or if not, check their website for details.

You can always play the sympathy card and see if they'll let you cancel it for free. I'd imagine there'll be some sort of fee though.

Hope you get sorted.

When you can cancel without paying
If you’re injured or have a serious illness
Your gym should let you cancel your contract if you have a serious injury or illness that is preventing you from exercise.

You’ll need to get evidence from a doctor or medical professional to prove that you can’t exercise.

Talk to the manager at your gym. If they won’t let you cancel, you should say the following (or put it in writing):

“The Competition and Markets Authority advises that a gym contract is unfair if it doesn’t let a member cancel through serious injury or illness.”

If you can’t afford to pay anymore
Your gym should let you cancel your contract if you’ve had a change in circumstances that means you can’t afford the monthly payments. It would have to be something significant, eg you’ve lost your job or suddenly found yourself in a lot of debt. You’ll need evidence to prove this to your gym.

Talk to the manager at your gym. If they won’t let you cancel, you should say the following (or put it in writing):

The Competition and Markets Authority advises that a gym contract is unfair if it doesn’t let a member cancel because they’ve had a change in circumstances which means they can’t afford the membership.”

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-gym-membership/

Although personally I'd say if you're going to be unemployed a gym membership might be a good thing to have, to give you something positive to do every day when you're not looking for work.

Not sure if it's a stupid suggestion due to the potential consequences of it, but why not set up a new bank account and empty the funds from the account you use for the gym, into the new account.

Oh and of course if they won't let you cancel you should brick their fucking windows and torch the manager's car. Smashing his wife's back doors in could be advisable as well.

Doing over your former employer takes precedence over this though.

Not sure if it's a stupid suggestion due to the potential consequences of it, but why not set up a new bank account and empty the funds from the account you use for the gym, into the new account.

Won’t stop them suing when the DD fails.

Oh and of course if they won't let you cancel you should brick their fucking windows and torch the manager's car. Smashing his wife's back doors in could be advisable as well.

Doing over your former employer takes precedence over this though.

And on the off chance the wife has a sister and/or mother......any suggestions ??

Cheers for the advice. If I survive the cull (50/50 I reckon) then I will be about £300 a month worse off so the gym membership will be a struggle to pay.

what gym is it -you probably won't have read toc's small print when you signed up-who does- but they will be online. Most are 1 month notice if change of circumstance -good luck

should have said how are we going to get home from Wembley without your help ? Double good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.