Redundancy

Mr Ed (The Stables)

I've just had a call from my lad who's 27 that he hasn't been made redundant today. This had been hanging over him for the past three weeks or more.

A huge sigh of relief in our household as he has a baby only a few weeks old.

I now feel dreadfully sorry for those that were not so lucky, these are truly tough/horrible times that we are living in, and unlike anything I have ever seen!!

I was made redundant in 2000, back then got another job in the same field the very same day, would not be so easy in this present climate, so feel for people who get laid off....very sad

No one is safe. Including those who think they are! I honestly think that things will get worse and cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. I pity our future generation.

stonie said:
I was made redundant in 2000, back then got another job in the same field the very same day, would not be so easy in this present climate, so feel for people who get laid off....very sad

Same. I have been made redundant twice and managed to get other jobs starting immediately after my last day, better paid jobs as well as the pay off so quite lucrative for me. However I wouldnt fancy my chances of the same happening in this day and age.

My brother got around £30k redundancy pay off a year or 2 back from the council.

What worries me is the amount of young people who are going to come out of university with massive debt and no job opportunities available to them. You shouldnt be working in poundland with a first in biochemistry. (In no way meaning disrespect to people who work in poundland) How have we got into this mess?

kp789 said:
What worries me is the amount of young people who are going to come out of university with massive debt and no job opportunities available to them. You shouldnt be working in poundland with a first in biochemistry. (In no way meaning disrespect to people who work in poundland) How have we got into this mess?
In fairness my mates that went to uni to get an actual degree rather than a fanny ann, life experience, pissed up 3 years have all got great jobs while the ones that did the latter are scraping by an existence

BoyBlue_1985 said:
kp789 said:
In fairness my mates that went to uni to get an actual degree rather than a fanny ann, life experience, pissed up 3 years have all got great jobs while the ones that did the latter are scraping by an existence
How long ago? I don't doubt that some will and do, go onto get cracking jobs. But it is going to get a lot harder.

kp789 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
kp789 said:
How long ago? I don't doubt that some will and do, go onto get cracking jobs. But it is going to get a lot harder.
Last to leave was about 3 years ago but he was a 4 year life experiencer and now works sporadically. It will get harder but if you get a good degree you can also move elsewhere and go forward. One friend moved to Switzerland with his engineering degree. The one thing we are not so short of is the high end technical jobs which these degrees give you access to

johnmc said:
stonie said:

Same. I have been made redundant twice and managed to get other jobs starting immediately after my last day, better paid jobs as well as the pay off so quite lucrative for me. However I wouldnt fancy my chances of the same happening in this day and age.

My brother got around £30k redundancy pay off a year or 2 back from the council.

Did alright from it then... I've heard of people being made redundant from a council job getting a big payout to then be moved to another department a few weeks later with a new job

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.