Ref Watch

You’re absolutely right. It definitely needs an overhaul to improve things as the standard seems to be deteriorating instead of improving.

I don’t think it helps having Mike Riley in charge. From my understanding, speaking to Graham Poll & listening to an interview with an ex-Ref who’s name escapes me, Mike Riley is a big part of the problem.

He apparently likes a specific type of referee who is almost robotic instead of using common sense & football nous & does t like ‘characters’.

VAR was supposed to help, but with the lack of transparency, it’s actually made things worse for me. Best thing they could do to have an instant effect is exactly the same as they do in rugby & let everyone hear how they come to decisions
It’s an interesting point you raise about ‘a certain type’ which leaves me in no doubt that it’s because they are open to working as directed.

This is not even accounting for the most egregious of referee and VAR “failures” on the day (and how the commentary aided in the cover up of the fix).

Jahanbakhsh was so late to the tackle the referee and VAR must have thought the halftime whistle had already been blown before the incident.
Yes, apologies for missing this most obvious one. But to be honest, I was more incensed by the kick out at Jesus, just inside their half, in the second half. Attwell is very close, he sees it, goes to give a foul, then for some bizarre reason he allows play to continue.

Either he was told not to blow for the foul, or he remembered his mandate to be lenient on Brighton. I can't think of another plausible explanation. Some are saying he was about to penalise Jesus for a foul but allowed advantage to Brighton. This is wrong because Jesus did not foul anyone, and Attwell did not give the play on for advantage signal.

The only possible reason that wasn't given as a foul, is because Attwell was working to some hidden agenda, and Moss was part of the conspiracy.

The other incidents can perhaps, at a stretch, be put down to a matter of subjective opinion. But this one can't. It's the same as the Aguero v Luiz situation where Taylor went to blow for a foul, then changed his mind. City should be pursuing PGMOL for an explanation on this incident. I hope they are, because to me, this looks like the weak-minded Attwell has been found out.

Last edited:
I find it strange that the one man whose performance was the most significant - Atwell 's - was not commented on by the media. They assess players but not the man who influences events the most.

It’s an interesting point you raise about ‘a certain type’ which leaves me in no doubt that it’s because they are open to working as directed.
Yep, spineless refs who don’t like confrontation so will never question Riley. Essentially yes men. I can’t think of a single Prem ref who doesn’t come across as a wet fart, so Riley never gets challenged.

Same as any other organisation, nothing ever changes if the establishment aren’t challenged unless a change is made at the top.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting match fixing is taking place (although it wouldn’t surprise me), but if Riley says jump, his refs ask how high, which does leave the door open for specific agendas to occur.

I find it strange that the one man whose performance was the most significant - Atwell 's - was not commented on by the media. They assess players but not the man who influences events the most.
Heard in Pep’s press conference that Cancelo is out for 3 matches. Unbelievable if true. Pep clearly puts a little dig in about it. Atwell was a disgrace in that match and VAR team too. Only people I have really heard mention it are City fans/podcasts. It’s the worst I have seen for a long time.

Stuart Brennan did in the Manchester United Evening News. His article was spot on.
Well done Stuart Brennan. I know he’s not a “City” man but he was on the MEN podcast and he was vocal on that too. But I see that as a “City” reporter. Not seen much from non City sources call out the performance of the Ref and VAR Team.

Heard in Pep’s press conference that Cancelo is out for 3 matches. Unbelievable if true. Pep clearly puts a little dig in about it. Atwell was a disgrace in that match and VAR team too. Only people I have really heard mention it are City fans/podcasts. It’s the worst I have seen for a long time.
City could always appeal the sending off. Welbeck didn't have control of the ball, and it wasn't even conclusively a foul by Cancelo.

Yes, apologies for missing this most obvious one. But to be honest, I was more incensed by the kick out at Jesus, just inside their half, in the second half. Attwell is very close, he sees it, goes to give a foul, then for some bizarre reason he allows play to continue.

Either he was told not to blow for the foul, or he remembered his mandate to be lenient on Brighton. I can't think of another plausible explanation. Some are saying he was about to penalise Jesus for a foul but allowed advantage to Brighton. This is wrong because Jesus did not foul anyone, and Attwell did not give the play on for advantage signal.

The only possible reason that wasn't given as a foul, is because Attwell was working to some hidden agenda, and Moss was part of the conspiracy.

The other incidents can perhaps, at a stretch, be put down to a matter of subjective opinion. But this one can't. It's the same as the Aguero v Luiz situation where Taylor went to blow for a foul, then changed his mind. City should be pursuing PGMOL for an explanation on this incident. I hope they are, because to me, this looks like the weak-minded Attwell has been found out.
I thought it looked like Atwell received a message in his earpiece saying 'no foul'. It would be very interesting to hear everything that was said between the refs.

I also thought there were a couple of other obvious fouls on Jesus that weren't given. The only reason they've been forgotten is because the reffing was so bad that there were other more obvious ones.

I think it's just as well we've got Pep. I know that might seem obvious, but our style of play reduces the chances for refs to have this impact on a regular basis. All the time we keep the ball there is little chance for refs to give something against us, however desperate they are to. It usually means all they can do is knock back penalty shouts and be lenient to the opposition when they foul us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.