Referees’ Performances 2018/19

The officiating last night was at best ill prepared. A cynical man may say they had conflicting thoughts, 1, Do their job. 2, Do what you can to help Shalke. A couple of times you could see it in the refs face, he was on the fence to often where there was no need to be.

Ignoring that though, on a basic level issues took to long to clarify, considerations for each team were not equal, imo.

4/10 See me after school! (you probably can't write that now or you would be accused of trying to shag em)

Agreed

I'd like a referee, or anyone come to that matter, to explain what constitutes an unnatural position. It's one of the most illogical descriptions but one that is trotted out to justify ridiculous penalty decisions.

Gets my goat to this. The only unnatural position for the arms to be in football is stuck by your sides.... that’s literally the only position you should never see anyone’s arms be. When u run, jump, walk, trot, jog, over head kick, bicycle kick, header etc etc etc, the only position you will never see the arms in is stuck to someone’s sides. How that became the natural position is because twats like Walton are allowed to administer the game.

The only time I’d say different is if you get an individual like John terry, where at one point he was waving his arms about to make himself bigger all the time. That’s where all this started and has manifested itself to this point. The otamendi incident was nothing like that tho....

Last edited:
We tend to struggle with Spanish referees. Is it the case that they referee games a whole lot differently to what we are used to with our English officials? You would expect Pep and his team to have some insight into how these referees perform, and this could be used to coach the players ahead of these key European games. We have had the occasional good referee though in our CL games. I wonder if there are correlations between where they referee and how they handle certain types of incidents in games.
Given the amount of money that flows into UEFA, their Chief Refereeing Officer (former Italian referee Roberto Rosetti) should be acting to standardise the levels of performance of all the officials under his jurisdiction.
Another point is UEFA’s image. They are keen to promote the Respect campaign, and stamp out racism, and clamp down on other unsavoury aspects of the game. But they are very lenient with on-field gamesmanship (aka cheating). If they want a clean image, with attractive football being played, they could do a whole lot more to promote this. For instance:
  • Apply tough sanctions to players and coaches who pressurise officials by imaginary card waving and VR requesting.
  • Like rugby, only allow captains to talk to referees. This multi-player haranguing of referees is so unseemly.
  • Punish players for feigning injury, diving, or even going to ground easily.
  • Get serious about fouls in the penalty areas. There are three officials patrolling penalty areas at corners. If a defender fouls, no matter how bad the foul, award a penalty. It’s funny how they can spot the slightest infringement by attackers, but miss everything but the most obvious fouls by defenders.
It’s about time the fair-handed teams started getting the benefits of their fair play, and the cheating snidey ones were punished accordingly.

Catalonian issue

FWIW my opinion on handball is thus:

At present, handball can (should) ONLY be given if deliberate, and is ALWAYS a yellow card. As intent is often hard to prove, it is not enforced this way, and the yellow card rule is also enforced badly and sporadically.

The rule should be changed in my view so handball if OBVIOUSLY deliberate (see Suarez in the WC, Henry in the WC quali) - is a bookable offence. The rest of the time it should be judged by advantage - if the ball striking the hand/arm gives a clear advantage, then a foul is called. Last night's case then would be a penalty, as Ota's arm stopped the shot being on target, but it would NOT be a yellow card. Harsh, perhaps, hard to judge, certainly, but IMO clearer than the current, clusterfuck of a rule.

That fellow in Washington State who was probably brought up on mind numbing US sport and has been a member on here for 18 months is talking absolute bollock if he thinks the 1st penalty decision was appropriate.

It was yet another dodgy decision in a growing number that have gone against us in Europe.

FWIW my opinion on handball is thus:

At present, handball can (should) ONLY be given if deliberate, and is ALWAYS a yellow card. As intent is often hard to prove, it is not enforced this way, and the yellow card rule is also enforced badly and sporadically.

The rule should be changed in my view so handball if OBVIOUSLY deliberate (see Suarez in the WC, Henry in the WC quali) - is a bookable offence. The rest of the time it should be judged by advantage - if the ball striking the hand/arm gives a clear advantage, then a foul is called. Last night's case then would be a penalty, as Ota's arm stopped the shot being on target, but it would NOT be a yellow card. Harsh, perhaps, hard to judge, certainly, but IMO clearer than the current, clusterfuck of a rule.

I’m probably with you. It needs changing. it will still be a mess as pens will be given for balls that are leathered at people who are 2 feet away or not even looking at the ball but what other option is there....

I’m probably with you. It needs changing. it will still be a mess as pens will be given for balls that are leathered at people who are 2 feet away or not even looking at the ball but what other option is there....

Indeed, it needs to be black and white, or as close to as possible, or else we'll end up with 10+ minutes of added time thank to VAR every fucking week.

Indeed, it needs to be black and white, or as close to as possible, or else we'll end up with 10+ minutes of added time thank to VAR every fucking week.

At least this way everyone knows and they will have to act like Micah did years ago always with his arms behind his back to not risk any possible contact. Worth a try I guess and I believe this rule is changing from next season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.