Referees’ Performances 2018/19

Suddenly the IFAB are rewording the text surrounding handball decisions after the incident involving us against Shalke. I suppose we can expect a change in the VAR use text as well to try and cover up the corruption.

If anybody still has any doubts about an agenda then I’m staggered.

They’ve just announced the IFAB Protocol for such events as the tech not working. Funnily enough it was nowhere to be found anywhere before about 20 minutes ago. The cherry on top of the cake, the VAR team can verbally describe the incident to he ref but not tell him what decision to make. I kid you not.... bent as fuck the whole organisation/competition.

The major issue is that they ignored their own protocol for the first penalty. You can't do that sort of thing and expect to be taken seriously. Unfortunately the media have too much at stake to show them up for what they are. The right answer was 'The equipment's not working, your call stands.' Schalke of course would bleat about it but they bleated about everything anyway.
On the subject of the laws, why not have two levels of penalty? For the usual type of handball and maybe holding at corners and free kicks, a penalty kick from 18 yards, and for fouls and deliberate, moving the arm, handball a 10 yard, not 12 yard, penalty kick. A lot of handballs in the area are committed when there's absolutely no likelihood of a goal resulting if contact with the arm isn't made. Same for holding: nobody even knows who's going to get the ball. Eddie got that one the other night. They wouldn't have scored if Fern hadn't have touched the player. They wouldn't have even had an attempt at goal. So make the punishment for the infringement much harder to score from. Schalke got two goals they didn't deserve from a hopeful snapshot that was going at the goalie and a free kick lobbed into the box. So for dubious borderline infringements like last night, a goal should be a less likely outcome and everyone might be a bit calmer about the whole thing. Less to gain by cheating and appealing. Less to get upset about for the defending team.

The fact that UEFA felt the need to issue that statement carried in the press shows their on the back foot....terrible reffing performance....I watched the game in France with some French mates who are not blues (mostly L'OL).. they were shaking their heads in disbelief at the antics of that corrupt tw@t...

They’ve just announced the IFAB Protocol for such events as the tech not working. Funnily enough it was nowhere to be found anywhere before about 20 minutes ago. The cherry on top of the cake, the VAR team can verbally describe the incident to he ref but not tell him what decision to make. I kid you not.... bent as fuck the whole organisation/competition.
YCMIU

The fact that UEFA felt the need to issue that statement carried in the press shows their on the back foot....terrible reffing performance....I watched the game in France with some French mates who are not blues (mostly L'OL).. they were shaking their heads in disbelief at the antics of that corrupt tw@t...
The most alarmimg thing..for me..is that those who pay good money to attend the match had absolutely no clue what was going on.
They would have seen the ref give a corner...then watched in disbelief as he fumbled with his mouth peice ..and gave a pen!!
Either the ref saw the incident or he didnt. Giving a corner suggests very strongly that he did see it.
As ive said before,just who is running the game these days.? It gets murkier,and murkier.
Corrupt as fuck,home and abroad.

I am certainly in the vast minority, but I didn't see corruption or us getting unduly stitched yesterday. Let's look at the incidents:
- 1st penalty: Penalties like that get called. The argument that it wasn't deliberate is not relevant as that is never the yardstick (regardless of the letter of the law). The prevailing standard is whether the hand is in a natural position or the player was too close to move his hand out of the way. Otamendi was a fair distance away, so the call was not unreasonable. You can argue that we don't get calls like that, but that's a different point. And not necessarily valid - for one that springs to mind, check out Essien's at the Etihad in an absolutely critical match vs. Chelsea in 2012.
- 2nd penalty: Fernandinho pulls down Sane. Case closed. Sane may have been in an offside position, but he was not at that point playing the ball, so the law is clear.
- Otamendi red card: unwarranted. He didn't deserve a yellow for the penalty (here the deliberate handball rule does apply). And the second was marginal.
- 3rd goal: Sterling definitely gives the defender a push. Could have been called for it or reviewed on VAR but it wasn't.

So we have one bad decision against us, one in our favour, and one 50/50 call. No case for bias or corruption. And Pep agrees - he said both were penalties. No need for him to say that if he disagrees. Now Liverpool last year, that's a different story.

UEFA have come out with this;

"The second decision was also correctly made on the basis of the Laws of the Game (Law 11 – Offside) which stipulates: “if a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence”."

If I'm reading that correctly, you can stand off-side at a free-kick into the box.

When the ball gets played in, the defensive line all come bowling in towards you, you stand there waiting to be knocked over (with an almighty scream), and claim your penalty.

Was offside but got fouled before the ball arrived, therefore foul given even though it would've been a free out if the ball had arrived.

Yup, got it.
Good rule that one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.