Referees’ Performances 2018/19

If a player is offside and moves towards the ball with the intention of playing it or at least interfering with another players decision making by just being there then surely being offside precedes the foul. As someone as said a player offside taken out by the keeper off the ball wins a penalty. It's a ludicrous interpretation of a stupid rule. If you are in an offside position seeking to gain an advantage which this was the case then you should be flagged offside. UEFA are making it up as they go along

Hmmm, first one not a pen for me, second one yes, Ota’s sending off was something the officials couldn’t wait to give (they ignored 4 worse yellow card offences in the 2nd half alone, by letting us play on and then not going back to book the culprit), and Sterling did little more than hold his line knowing the defender, who was facing the other way, was going to back into him.

On the back of Sane’s non-goal vs Liverpool, the stonewall pens not given to Sergio (Monaco), Leroy (Hoffenheim) and Raz (Barca - and he even got booked for diving), the whole 2014/2015 game vs Barca at the Etihad when Pellers went on the warpath afterwards, and the most innocuous sendings off imaginable (Zab - Barca, Ferna - ‘gladbach), you can understand why many fans felt like this was just the latest UEFA sponsored exercise in nobbling us

I agree.
First look I thought the hand ball was a penalty and in itself I can live with it being given.
However as you outline above there wasn't an even handed way in officiating throughout the game and the most glaring examples are the use of VAR.
VAR basically dictated not only the penalties but also the yellow that ultimately got Otter sent off. This without the ref having seen evidence of a deliberate hand ball,
because VAR at touchline wasn't working. If he has over-ruled his own decision to give a corner and also issue a yellow, on foot of the VARs description of events, then that is a conversation that we need to hear. If we hear and see the decision making process like in rugby, then we don't have this discussion a day or two later after UEFA have had time to think and backtrack.
The same deliberation didn't go into the second penalty. Why? Was it because none of our players were up in the refs face?

I don't have a problem with losing two penalties that you see given sometimes, although if that's the interpretation of the rules for the second one, then the game is in trouble.
But the Spanish officiating including the use of a faulty VAR system was suspect and shady at the least.

It happens too often in our games.
It'll not stop as we progress either. You can be sure of it.

It’s the aged old one isn’t it?

If you’re on the fucking pitch then you ARE interfering with play as you are very much an active participant in the game.

VAR is an absolute joke and will do nothing to stop the cheats in the game.

If a player is offside and moves towards the ball with the intention of playing it or at least interfering with another players decision making by just being there then surely being offside precedes the foul. As someone as said a player offside taken out by the keeper off the ball wins a penalty. It's a ludicrous interpretation of a stupid rule. If you are in an offside position seeking to gain an advantage which this was the case then you should be flagged offside. UEFA are making it up as they go along

The UEFA statement explaining the non-offside is following the logic of passive offside.
Esp. in CL matches forwards are miles offside but the lino lets the game go on until the player nearly reaches the ball bedfore he lifts his flag.
They don't want to interrupt the game, and if an opponent touches the ball deliberately the forward wouldn't be offside anymore, new situation.

In our case it would only have been offside when the 2 offside players had touched the ball or would have interfered,
but Fern obviously and stupidly had his hands on Sane's hips before it was such an offside situation, in terms of passive offside.

I agree, Ferns impact was very soft, Sane was going down like a drama queen with a clear intention and his immediate waving was telling enough.
But we also have to admit we maybe never before have seen 2 hands on the opponents hips.

That was simply stupid and I think Pep was hinting to those situations when he was not happy that we
conceded 2 against a team that cannot score and should never have had a chance in that match.

Passive, active, non active - it's all bollocks. Sane was offside at the free kick as was Nasty and both were seeking to gain an advantage from the quick free kick being taken. Ask yourselves this, had one of them put the ball in the net would the flag have gone up? If it were to be reviewed on VAR the goal would have been ruled out - why, because both were offside.

Passive, active, non active - it's all bollocks. Sane was offside at the free kick as was Nasty and both were seeking to gain an advantage from the quick free kick being taken. Ask yourselves this, had one of them put the ball in the net would the flag have gone up? If it were to be reviewed on VAR the goal would have been ruled out - why, because both were offside.
The mere fact that they've stolen a march on our high line to get into the box and influence Ederson's decision to punch the ball, is interfering with play.
If he spills that ball and it falls to the feet of the attacker that was fouled, is he then offside in a secondary faze?
It's bullshit. Getting ahead of our defender into an offside position is interfering with THAT play.

Yes, would have gone up and ruled out, as I said.
But before that could happen - the offside call - Fern's foul happened.

In our old understanding it would be offside first, then the foul.
Following passive offside it's vice versa:
the foul happened before the offside call.

I think this confusing rule isn't well understood and not obvious for people in the stands. That's a problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.