Regrouping of singers within the stadium

This is interesting. No one wants a brass band but you never see an atmosphere like this at the main ground unless we play a top team. The drums(?) at the front seem to be leading the singing rather than overwhelming it. <a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/CanalStBlues/status/590247662835933184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/CanalStBlues/status ... 2835933184</a>

From what I heard on the TV the band were brilliant and it was them that led the chanting. Until they showed up I didn't hear really much singing. I'm not slagging any fans off btw just basing it off what I heard.

Sometimes having a bit of fun is the best thing at a match and that tuba guy haha helped seemsed to help with that

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
From what I heard on the TV the band were brilliant and it was them that led the chanting. Until they showed up I didn't hear really much singing. I'm not slagging any fans off btw just basing it off what I heard.

Sometimes having a bit of fun is the best thing at a match and that tuba guy haha helped seemsed to help with that

That wasn't really the case mate. There were plenty of songs that were started by the fans and the band joined in with them afterwards. They started a few songs off but, and I'm trying to be as polite as possible here, there really wasn't any need for them to be there because there were enough people present that were willing to make an atmosphere without the aid of a band just like in previous games at the Academy stadium. Anyone who was at the game against Schalke in January will know we pretty much kept it going for the whole 90 minutes on the South stand terrace and there wasn't a musical instrument in sight. Same for the EDS game against Liverpool in February where the crowd was far lower than it was last night but a handful of singers still made a decent racket throughout. It helps that the Academy stadium is fantastic for generating an atmosphere and combined with having people who are prepared to sing makes it sound better than the main stadium on most match days. The balance should be addressed somewhat next season with the new singing block though and it really can't come soon enough for me.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:

I was stood right next to the band last night. Oddly, in the first half they hardly did anything, and certainly weren't leading the chanting/singing.

Second half atmosphere was much better than first half, again I wouldn't say that the band led it, apart from the odd rendition of bluemoon, which they did very well by the way.

The band mostly appeared to join in with the chants that had already been started. It was definitely a good atmosphere, and shows what it can be like on a smaller scale when all the singers are together. Hopefully that was a preview of what next season could be like in the Big stadium.

Must admit, I didn't really mind the band at all to be honest, although their rendition of at Outkast's "Hey Ya" was a bit random.

From what I was told the club organized the band and it had nothing to do with 1894.

I didn't mind it, though it was Sheffield Wednesday-esc. Not sure what the response would be at the Etihad and on a matchday. Think the away fans would have a field day taking the pass out of it. "Can you sing without a band!" "Are you Wednesday in disguise!"
As others have stated, the band didn't lead the singing, it joined in for the most part.

Being honest I wouldn't want a band in the new singing section. The novelty would soon ware off. I'd take a suitable drum as long as it isn't just banged non-stop like at some grounds. Used occasionally, appropriately, and at the right time, a drum can keep the songs going, and add to the atmosphere.

Great night, really enjoyed that! I'd say the atmosphere was better than most of the matches at the Etihad ?!??

On another subject, stewards were very annoying last night. I know they often just do what they are told by Mark Ryder (head of security, previous GMP btw) but a couple of things last night were ridiculous

First, they told us to take down the 'legalise safe standing' banner for no specific reason... I replied "take it down yourself" and steward threatened me to kick me out of the ground. Banner got confiscated and got it back at the end of the match. Then after 20/25 minutes into the match stewards came saying we couldn't wave flags because the TV camera behind the goal was getting obstructed.. Again I got threatened of being kicked out of the stadium if i'd have kept waving a flag. Silly mistake by the club, they could have put singers in the South stand where there was no camera, or could have put the TV camera there.

alberto0292 said:
Great night, really enjoyed that! I'd say the atmosphere was better than most of the matches at the Etihad ?!??

On another subject, stewards were very annoying last night. I know they often just do what they are told by Mark Ryder (head of security, previous GMP btw) but a couple of things last night were ridiculous

First, they told us to take down the 'legalise safe standing' banner for no specific reason... I replied "take it down yourself" and steward threatened me to kick me out of the ground. Banner got confiscated and got it back at the end of the match. Then after 20/25 minutes into the match stewards came saying we couldn't wave flags because the TV camera behind the goal was getting obstructed.. Again I got threatened of being kicked out of the stadium if i'd have kept waving a flag. Silly mistake by the club, they could have put singers in the South stand where there was no camera, or could have put the TV camera there.
I watched on ITV4. The commentators were repeatedly critical of the atmosphere in the ground.

It looked OK especially as we were losing

The big difference between the Etihad and the Academy Stadium, using last night as an example, wasn't the band; it was the percentage of the stadium prepared to stand and sing. I would say about 15% of the attendance last night were constantly singing, at the Etihad it's barely 3%, if half that at times. That is huge in terms of what noise bounces around the stadium in relation to the attendance and size of the ground. Plus you're battling with away fans who are making decent noise sometimes.

If that was transferred to the Etihad it would mean over 7000 fans would be constantly singing, could you just imagine that for a second. When a club with a big following comes in the cup they bring 5800 and some of them make a very decent noise and around the ground it is well heard. But imagine if it was 7000+home fans making that noise...

This is where we've always struggled at this stadium. Even if the two singing sections sing the same song at the same time and every single person in there joined in, it would only be about 3000 people singing. There are twenty...thirty...clubs in this country with larger singing sections than we have (including places well down the leagues like Plymouth, Bristol Rovers and Stockport County). Even next year with the added block it won't be much more than 4000 - less than 8% of the attendance (Sheffield United and Aston Villa's singing sections hold around 9and10000 more than that respectively)......but it will be much better next year still.

Marvin said:
alberto0292 said:

I watched on ITV4. The commentators were repeatedly critical of the atmosphere in the ground.

It looked OK especially as we were losing

I am talking from the fan point of view, standing in the middle of the terrace.

Not interested in commentators point of view,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.