Relative gifting money

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by abu13, 6 Nov 2019.

1. PannickAtTheDisco

PannickAtTheDisco

that...

BlueTG likes this.
  2. SWP's back

SWP's back

That’s on gifts in the seven years prior to death if their estate is over the double nil rate band (£650k) and refers to IHT and not long term care costs.

3. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

Inheritance tax rules.
    Nothing to do with care costs.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

Your problem is if your parents go into care the authorities have absolute power to investigate their accounts and they can decide the gifts were done to avoid care costs and take them into consideration as your parent's assets. There is no statute of limitations on this.
    It is called deprivation of assets and is described here.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/informatio...paying-for-a-care-home/deprivation-of-assets/

However If they have separate bank accounts they can each have £23250 in each account and not be eligible for care costs if one goes into care.
    So if they only have £35000 of savings they just need to rearrange their bank accounts out of a joint account and put £17500 in two separate accounts.
    This cannot be challenged because they aren’t removing assets, just organising them to their benefit.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2019
  5. dickie davies

dickie davies

6. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

7. SWP's back

SWP's back

8. cyberblue

cyberblue

You are right to seek proper advice as you don't want the shit to hit the fan in years to come .Plus you don't want to be in a position where you could be acused of using the money for your own purposes as it would be you and your wife drawing out the money .Make sure you receipt and document all transactions ..To be fair you will only be doing what 10s of thousands of other relatives do as oviously they don't want there life savings snatched from them .good luck with it.

9. bigstanhibbert

bigstanhibbert

Team supported:
    MCFC
    Look into a trust fund. My mother opened one this year and it has given her peace of mind regards her assets etc

mindmyp's_n_q's and abu13 like this.
  10. abu13

abu13

Team supported:
    Gods own
    This is what concerns me most, we wouldn't be drawing the money out. Her mum and her husband would have the cards even though the account was in our name, in the event of anything happening to them i don't want my brother in laws family accusing us of dipping into the pot.