Relative gifting money

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by abu13, 6 Nov 2019.

1. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

only if
    A you were successful
    And
    B they subsequently find out.

2. abu13

abu13

Ive been to Hastings, Ive been to Brighton,
    Nope, they want us to open up a standard current account, to be honest the more i am looking at this the more uncomfortable i am about it. I t doesn't help that this is all being done through phone calls to the missus and i'm just being told what is being said. It all seems very rushed like it needs to happen yesterday.

I think i need to have a chat with them myself.

3. cyberblue

cyberblue

Think you right mate to have a good think.So many red flags flying in the wind .They could probably be prosecuted or at very least have some serious explaning to be made why they have posesion of someone elses bank card and even more so if they caught drawing money out with some one elses card

4. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

Hang on.... So you and your brother sold your mums house before she died and split the money..... Can i ask... Where did your mun go to live!

5. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

Under the car park! She didn't half put up a fight. Them old ladies are stronger than you think, even when they're wrapped in a sheet & you've smashed them on the head with a shovel a few times.

She was in a home & terminally ill actually. The tenant that was in there wanted to buy, her care was fully funded by the council so there was no financial reason to keep it & it saved pissing about with probate. Though the solicitors still managed to fuck it up.

TCIB and Mad Eyed Screamer like this.
  6. mikemcfc

mikemcfc

Team supported:
    CTID
    Don't know what the rules are there but my wife works in a bank here in Canada and the rules are very specific that you can not use a card from someone else's account. Very clear in the terms and conditions, husbands and wives are not even allowed to know and use the others card and pin code if the accounts are not joint. Doing this can even void your deposit insurance if there is fraud against your account and there is knowledge that you did not keep your pin # secret. Of course it happens all the time at the ATM machine, but when someone tries it at the teller they are confiscated.

7. SWP's back

SWP's back

If the OP’s in laws opens a variable trust then the council can still raid it.

If it’s an absolute trust then it’s considered the same as gifting it as they lose control of the money.

Basically what I’m saying is that a trust is absolutely worthless in this case.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2019
  8. LWashington

LWashington

Reminded me of this.

9. lancs blue

lancs blue

i assume your in-laws already have a current account for bills and day to day expenses so why would they need cash from the new account? Why not just use an internet transfer to put money into their existing current account if, say, they wanted to buy an expensive item like new furniture? Like others have said I'd steer well clear of just giving them the cards and access to an account in you or your wife's name, you or your wife would still be legally responsible for the account.

10. Tarzan41

Tarzan41