Relaxation of FFP rules due to Covid-19

I don’t want to get into this too much as it leads to too many arguments, but I think the concern was more that you & PSG were effectively bankrolled by sovereign states rather than private individuals or corporations per se. This would effectively blow all other clubs out of the water because no corporations or individuals had resources like that or could begin to compete in a bidding war. Of course we both know in this instance that the reality is more nuanced than that. I can understand the protectionism angle towards the ‘cartel’ as you call it but since the inception of G14 20 years ago, nearly every member has won a European trophy, in lots of cases multiple ones. They’ve earned their right at the top of the pile on the pitch. That said, the rules do favour them in another way. But FFP isn’t just about the big clubs, the mandate for a club to spend within its means is a brilliant idea in my book. Places the emphasis on coaching and recruitment - exactly how the football side of a club should work.
Thanks for reply, I fully understand your reluctance to discuss certain aspects but if we are to be tarred with same brush as PSG I note that things have gone much more smoothly for.them so is the fear of Sovereign wealth now reserved exclusively for City?
Presumably the 2 main Spanish Clubs are also also accepted despite their financial affairs being virtually Government funded.?

Our owner has invested in many non AD countries without problems and even assisted the UK Government by cutting a deal with Barclays during the Bank crisis so in what way do you feel the alleged Sovereign wealth is unfair?
One thing is certain his wealth is not tainted by the need for massive dollar fines issued to certain Banks by USA for illegal Iran trading and money laundering.

Simply trying to understand how our owner who has done so much for local East Manchester and for that matter invested in City of Liverpool projects should be seen to be investing unfairly,

But if they’d had FFP in place then it wouldn’t have been allowed to get that far if you get me. The money they were spending was nowhere near commensurate with their turnovers. The safeguards in place now mean it’s unlikely to ever happen again. That’s surely a good thing?
I’m not so sure that it stifles competition though, the top six for example has fluctuated a lot in the last ten years or so. Ten years ago, it was unthinkable that United wouldn’t qualify for the CL and look at now. My point is that there are a number of other factors that affect the standing of the club, not necessarily just finance. On investment, clubs can buy who they like as long as it’s within their means. If their means aren’t big enough then invest there to give yourself a platform. Build, say, a state of the art academy that produces players that sell for big money. It’s not as straightforward as that, granted, but it’s a route to the market you want to be in.
I couldn’t agree with the last point any more. And as I’ve said, it’s the MO of all the top teams. Their greed knows no bounds whatsoever.

100% wrong as with Parma in Italy, the books looked healthy regardless of mounting external debts. Those liabilities didn't include tax owed and even now, FFP doesn't cover local liabilities for tax.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.