Religion, mammoths and dinosaurs,

Ancient Citizen

A virtually complete mammoth is to go on display soon, a Tyrannosaurus skeleton, also virtually complete found in Montana, is also due to make an appearance.
How do religious folk square their beliefs that everything was created by God a few thousand years ago, when, in the case of mammoths, their existence terminated around 13000 years ago, and the T Rex around 65 million years past?
This is directed at some fundamentalist Christians, in the main, and Muslims, although there are a myriad of other faiths with similar views.

I heard a fantastic point of view the other day
I say fantastic I think I mean Unbelievable Jeff

The bones were put there by god or possibly Jesus when he was rampaging around to test Christians faith in him

People who believe in God and have faith would believe that the earth is older than that.

However people that are instilled and brainwashed with religious dogma will always argue that the grass is blue and the sky is green.

dazdon said:
People who believe in God and have faith would believe that the earth is older than that.

However people that are instilled and brainwashed with religious dogma will always argue that the grass is blue and the sky is green.
Yes they do, but how do they reconcile the fact that man has only walked the earth for around 5 minutes, relatively speaking, whilst other creatures have come and gone ?

I am intrigued by the idea of how the bite of the forbidden apple from the tree is actually symbolic of a DNA mixing event between extraterrestrials and early hominids, giving hominids a new found ability to acquire intelligence.

It's like the birds and the bees way of extraterrestrials saying, well, we reconfigured your dioxyribose nucleic acid chain by adding new RNA on the nth chain of your DNA tree, do....you....understand???

There is just a big gap in the evolution of intelligence that what is more plausible is outside interference. We have been living with apes for many centuries and none so far have shown as much capacity to develop further intelligence, while we humans seem to become more intelligent in leaps and bounds.

Ancient Citizen said:
dazdon said:

Yes they do, but how do they reconcile the fact that man has only walked the earth for around 5 minutes, relatively speaking, whilst other creatures have come and gone ?

Deeply religious people don't reconcile anything though do they? They just blindly follow the dogma/mantra of whatever book they read.

I suppose people of faith who don't follow a religion have a much wider scope and believe that dinosaurs and bacteria were here a lot longer than we were.

Just everything in Christianity is absolutely ridiculous. Ive never gone to church put always felt like i should believe.
Faith and the whole jesus , god thing IMO is generated by a peoples fear of death. Its as simple as that.

Even being agnostic made me feel too tied down.
Last week some JW's came round so I just said sorry im an athiest.

I shut the door and felt so liberated it was brilliant "yes"! moment.

When I head into my final years will my opinion change? I hope not but I suspect it may.

shaiomarali said:
I am intrigued by the idea of how the bite of the forbidden apple from the tree is actually symbolic of a DNA mixing event between extraterrestrials and early hominids, giving hominids a new found ability to acquire intelligence.

It's like the birds and the bees way of extraterrestrials saying, well, we reconfigured your dioxyribose nucleic acid chain by adding new RNA on the nth chain of your DNA tree, do....you....understand???

There is just a big gap in the evolution of intelligence that what is more plausible is outside interference. We have been living with apes for many centuries and none so far have shown as much capacity to develop further intelligence, while we humans seem to become more intelligent in leaps and bounds.

because we made positive evolutionary selections that had the trade-off of causing multiple modern human diseases, particularly neurological disorders.

shaiomarali said:

Wow. I have seen some shite spouted in The Cellar, but this takes the biscuit.

Ancient Citizen said:
A virtually complete mammoth is to go on display soon, a Tyrannosaurus skeleton, also virtually complete found in Montana, is also due to make an appearance.
How do religious folk square their beliefs that everything was created by God a few thousand years ago, when, in the case of mammoths, their existence terminated around 13000 years ago, and the T Rex around 65 million years past?
This is directed at some fundamentalist Christians, in the main, and Muslims, although there are a myriad of other faiths with similar views.

Light.

Light is the key.

The observable universe is 93 billion light years across, which means the nutjobs that claim the Universe that God created is 6,500 years old are, quite indisputably, nutjobs.

Because if that were true we wouldn't be able to observe light that was any older than that would we?

Nutjobs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.