Remembering Swales

Took one of the biggest, one of the best supported, one of the most successful in the proceeding years football clubs in England to near bankruptcy in less than twenty years. On top of that his cheap policies probably ruined the career of the best Youth Product possibly ever that had come off the Maine Road production line.

Yes he was a fan, but he was a meglomaniac as well and that's always a dangerous combination.

I thank our lucky stars we are in the position we are in today.

Swales chucked me out of the players lounge after a game once after I had sneaked in on the end of a young school delegation or summat. I was 14/15. Got on me knees and went in with them expecting to be sussed but got right into the inner sanctum. Had a look round the trophy room (yes there were trophies in it) and then helped myself to a sarnie and a coke. Chatted to Dave Watson and Barnesy (well they said hello anyhow). Then Swales came in and took exception to my denim waistcoat with City patches sewn all over it as I attempted to get served with a free beer and he turfed me out the mean bastard!

Three_Hat-tricks said:
Good evening Blues,

Someone recently put up a link of the "Do I Not Not Like It" documentary about Graham Taylor's time as England Manager. I rewatched the whole programme this morning and almost smiled when the late Peter Swales made an appearance, as he was head of the FA's International Committee in those days (may have got his title wrong).

Anyway, when I saw my old man over Christmas we had a good argument about ol' Wiggy in the pub. My Dad has always described him as a gangster. Although I understand that - and agree to some extent - I always thought of him as a City fan that held a position of power but was so obsessed with getting one over United that it swayed his judgement, often with disastrous consequences. Due to this, I still believe that "fans" shouldn't really be involved in their club at board level - or, to clarify that, in a position where they hold considerable influence. Obviously, it's great for Blues to have a voice among the suits, but a controlling voice... I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Please keep it civil. :)

Did not like him then and nothing has changed - your dad's correct the term in those days was gangster but that could have been said about all the Chairmen of that time.

Fans running clubs?? No thanks clubs need to be run as a professional business - thank god that is where we are going right now.

Spoke to Swales at a irlam supporters meeting in 70's , his biggest regret was not signing Graham souness said it's was the difference of us and Liverpool when we were runners up, told me they tried everything to sign him .
A city fan at heart but punched above his weight and devious
When the new umrbro stand was built had the rental of all the tellys in all the ground crafty git

stumpy_mcfc said:
Three_Hat-tricks said:
Good evening Blues,

Someone recently put up a link of the "Do I Not Not Like It" documentary about Graham Taylor's time as England Manager. I rewatched the whole programme this morning and almost smiled when the late Peter Swales made an appearance, as he was head of the FA's International Committee in those days (may have got his title wrong).

Anyway, when I saw my old man over Christmas we had a good argument about ol' Wiggy in the pub. My Dad has always described him as a gangster. Although I understand that - and agree to some extent - I always thought of him as a City fan that held a position of power but was so obsessed with getting one over United that it swayed his judgement, often with disastrous consequences. Due to this, I still believe that "fans" shouldn't really be involved in their club at board level - or, to clarify that, in a position where they hold considerable influence. Obviously, it's great for Blues to have a voice among the suits, but a controlling voice... I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Please keep it civil. :)

Did not like him then and nothing has changed - your dad's correct the term in those days was gangster but that could have been said about all the Chairmen of that time.

Fans running clubs?? No thanks clubs need to be run as a professional business - thank god that is where we are going right now.

Spot on in my opinion.

when swales took over about 1972 i think city were consistant top 6 ,always in europe playing in a 50/60 thousand stadium ,by the end of his watch we were heading for the third tear of english football playing in a 34 thousand capacity ground,all we need to know really.

Interesting subject. I think Peter Swales main love was himself and he certainly did us no favours as a club. A small-minded man who had no vision other than the kudos of running a football club and the benefits that brought him.

If you look back at City chairmen, most have been genuine fans. The Alexanders, Swales, Lee, Bernstein & Wardle. Albert Alexander & his son Eric did a good, solid job. Swales we've talked about, Lee partly suffered becasue of what Swales had done to us but at least got Bernstein in. He was getting us sorted then was undermined by Wardle. who was a well-meaning but ineffectual chairman.

So you can still be a fan & a good chairman but you've got to be able to make the hard decisions and think long-term.

bono said:
when swales took over about 1972 i think city were consistant top 6 ,always in europe playing in a 50/60 thousand stadium ,by the end of his watch we were heading for the third tear of english football playing in a 34 thousand capacity ground,all we need to know really.

Absolutely, 20 years of a well-meaning idiot running the club was about 19 years too long, proper Blue or not.

bono said:
Still in the top league from what I remember

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.