Remembering Swales

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Three_Hat-tricks, 17 Feb 2012.

1. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

He pulled the same trick with Trevor Francis when he was sold to Sampdoria too.

Edit: Just seen previous post. Great minds think alike'!!

2. acton28

acton28

Swales is part of MCFC's history, sometimes sweet, often bitter. Let the man rest.

3. Bigg Bigg Blue

Bigg Bigg Blue

In a hole that just keeps getting deeper.
    For all those who are sticking up for Franny Lee on here, 2 names to think of,
    alan ball and colin barlow ( lower case on purpose).
    These 2 did hell of a lot of damage to our club.

4. Skip Donoghue

Skip Donoghue

I have heared the Family Stand is to be renamed " Peter Swales" stand in memory of our greatest ever chairman

5. knuckles

knuckles

Saw his house once, it was painted blue and purple inside, every room had tons of City stuff in it, he was dodgy but still a true blue

6. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

Your source being?????

7. Corky

Corky

1.7 million and it got us promoted with the new players we got in.

8. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

I presume you're talking about Paul Stewart rather than Trevor Francis especially as we were relegated the season after Francis was sold.

Assuming you were referring to Stewart, I'm trying to remember who we bought with that money: Wayne Biggins, Mark Seagraves. Nigel Gleghorn all spring to mind, but I'm not sure they were pivotal in our promotion - that said the ends justify the means so all's well that ends well, I guess.

9. bluemurray

bluemurray

Glued to the PC waiting for them goals to fly in!!
    Swales.... He always struck me as a horrible stale little man; cheap - he was always going on about "cutting your cloth accordingly" and never managed to shift that dodgy, backstreet trader image ever-so-slightly the 'spiv', always on the make, and never quite 'making it'. He was ego personified. Utterly vainglorious and raised well above his station by the FA which shows you just how utterly inept and out-of-touch they were (and are!). He ouozed 'cheap', was cheap and was thrown out in '94 deservadly and with few tears - they came later with Lee, etc who were another bunch of ego's to be honest. Yes, they made some effort to increase the income and put us on a 'sounder footing' and I was as pleased as most of us at the time that they took over the club. Sadly - and the facts speak for themselves - they made some awful management decisions, sacking Horton being chief among them, only bettered by the then hiring of Ball! They were a classic example of the old saying "be careful what you wish for". If credit is due for at least quitting when they knew they'd made an utter pigs ear of it, then so be it, take the credit. But the fact is, it was their 'watch' and the club was nearly destroyed and was certainly made a laughing stock, during their tenure. Those 'happy years 1992 - 1998.... Goodbye and good riddance to all of them!

10. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

City bought 5 players with the Stewart money
    Andy Dibble, Wayne Bobbins (sorry, Biggins), Nigel Gleghorn, John Deehan (who never played) and Mark Seagraves
    But that's not the point. Swales never came out and said ''we are going to flog Paul Stewart and buy 5 players with the money who will get us promoted come May''.
    He told us he wasn't going to sell him, waited for the season ticket deadline to pass and flogged him to Spuds!