Restarting after a goal...

See my article talking about this very thing.

On a sidenote, that whole thing during the world cup was a great example of how much players are influenced by social media. A rumour starts about 1 team leaving a player on the pitch and then suddenly 3 or 4 of the best teams in the world are going out of their way to obey an imaginary rule.

I’m not inventing it, the Argentina thing in France 98 came to mind and Darren Anderton had to race back to rescue it after England thought Sol Campbell had won it.

I think the difference is that it was a free kick rather than a kick off.

Yes, you’re right.

football is just a game but drives you mad at times with the rules and not many players/managers understand the whole of rules in the book

and after your post on losing from 4.2 up clearly says your team did not understand the rules because not matter how fast the other team take the ball back up field its your kick off again and you can slow it down with loads of ways to take the sting out of the game even stopping it for a injury or sub or going to the ref and have a right old moan and talk shit if you have to just slow the retake down ???

football is just a game but drives you mad at times with the rules and not many players/managers understand the whole of rules in the book

and after your post on losing from 4.2 up clearly says your team did not understand the rules because not matter how fast the other team take the ball back up field its your kick off again and you can slow it down with loads of ways to take the sting out of the game even stopping it for a injury or sub or going to the ref and have a right old moan and talk shit if you have to just slow the retake down ???
I agree. I usually pride myself on knowing the laws but I a split second, a player said let’s kick off, I looked up and saw them deliberately leaving the pitch, thought back to France 98 and in that moment, it made sense.

Now I know, I’m glad we didn’t score from it and I’ve just text the opposition coach and apologised.

I was reffing my lad’s team today and a series of events caused a lot of controversy.

We were 4-2 up with 10 minutes left. The opposition scored, for the ball out of the net and raced back to restart. They got underway and with 2/3 minutes left, equalised. Again they got the ball and legged it back. They need a win to go top. In the last minute, they snatched a winner and all ran off the pitch and were some 10 yards off the pitch for about a minute.

My goalie kicked the ball back and then one player said “let’s kick off”. The opposition had 2 or 3 players and the goalie on the pitch. The rest were still going crazy off the pitch.

I had a flash back to France ‘98 and Darren Anderton’s last ditch tackle against Argentina. I let them kick off. The opposition coaches were fine with it but some of the parents weren’t happy.

Have I acted within the laws of the game by allowing the game to be restarted?
"We were 4-2 up" is a bit of a giveaway.....

Speaking of laws not always being observed. I remember the semi final of the Lancashire Cup. It was under 16 and I played for a local village team, we were playing Morecambe, it’s nil nil, ten minutes left and I belted a goal kick to our striker (smaller pitches than professional obviously), he takes a touch and lobs the keeper. Ref gave offside.

I went ballistic and still you’d hear fans shout offside at goal kicks at the Etihad (or did until Eddy kept doing his trick)

Ps. We lost one nil, I let a free kick from outside our half bounce over my head in injury time. Still upset.

Further inane non-observation of the laws of the game: when we beat Norwich 6-0 in the FA cup in '81, Bobby Mac got the final goal in the dying seconds. The ref should have restarted the game with a Norwich kick-off but he didn't, he blew for full time instead. Maybe, in some parallel world, that game's still being played. And we're losing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.