Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)

Marklr

Team supported
MCMCFMCFCOK
This is blighting my life at the moment...does anybody else suffer with it? Restless Leg Syndrome is actually a shite name for the condition, as it has nothing to do with the legs apart from the urge to move them all the time when relaxed. It's actually a neurological condition due to a dopamine deficiency. Just at the point of sleep, when you're at your most relaxed, it starts. I can only describe it as an intense tickling sensation INSIDE the body...you just HAVE to move. I can't get a proper sleep...even with the meds off the doctor. Cannabis helps...but only a bit.
There are two kinds of RLS... Primary and secondary. Secondary RLS is caused by something outside the body....like withdrawals from some drugs, a lack of iron and several other things. That can be treated, or it will solve itself once you've dealt with whatever is causing it. PRIMARY RLS, the one I have, is hereditary and gets worse with age. There are various medications that can be used, but they have shitty side effects and are usually addictive. Ropinirole is the one I've been on for the last few years...but I've gained a tolerance to them, and they've fucked my head right up. Because they'e a "dopamine agonist" medication, they make any addictions worse.
Anyway...this is not a sympathy call or owt like that...I just want to know if anybody else has it and how they deal with it... cheers.

Last edited:
I have that too but cold air at the legs helps a lot. Also I have found a way to constrict muscles in the respective area of the leg which is almost as helpful as moving them. This way it's a lot easier to ignore them. Also: reading books or bluemoon helps to move the attention on another topic. As with pain, that also helps a lot. But it's still shitty, I agree

This is blighting my life at the moment...does anybody else suffer with it? Restless Leg Syndrome is actually a shite name for the condition, as it has nothing to do with the legs apart from the urge to move them all the time when relaxed. It's actually a neurological condition due to a dopamine deficiency. Just at the point of sleep, when you're at your most relaxed, it starts. I can only describe it as an intense tickling sensation INSIDE the body...you just HAVE to move. I can't get a proper sleep...even with the meds off the doctor. Cannabis helps...but only a bit.
There are two kinds of RLS... Primary and secondary. Secondary RLS is caused by something outside the body....like withdrawals from some drugs, a lack of iron and several other things. That can be treated, or it will solve itself once you've dealt with whatever is causing it. PRIMARY RLS, the one I have, is hereditary and gets worse with age. There are various medications that can be used, but they have shitty side effects and are usually addictive. Ropinirole is the one I've been on for the last few years...but I've gained a tolerance to them, and they've fucked my head right up. Because they'e a "dopamine agonist" medication, they make any additions worse.
Anyway...this is not a sympathy call or owt like that...I just want to know if anybody else has it and how they deal with it... cheers.
That sounds awful I wish you the best

I have that too but cold air at the legs helps a lot. Also I have found a way to constrict muscles in the respective area of the leg which is almost as helpful as moving them. This way it's a lot easier to ignore them. Also: reading books or bluemoon helps to move the attention on another topic. As with pain, that also helps a lot. But it's still shitty, I agree
I've been looking into acupuncture for RLS...apparently it helps...but only WITH the meds!

I have this along with fibromyalgia , it is evil i agree, i cant keep my legs or arms still and have to get up for hours

i have been on magnesium three times a day for about twenty years which helps keep the amount of times it happens down , the only thing that helps it is two valium and stretching my leg and arm muscles , really stretch so it hurts , i recently started taking a valium with my before bed meds to get ahead of it and also a sleeping tablet and a perscription couple of meds that relax my body

it comes out of nowhere and can go on a couple of nites running then goes away again , i get maybe one episode a month now

I have this along with fibromyalgia , it is evil i agree, i cant keep my legs or arms still and have to get up for hours

i have been on magnesium three times a day for about twenty years which helps keep the amount of times it happens down , the only thing that helps it is two valium and stretching my leg and arm muscles , really stretch so it hurts , i recently started taking a valium with my before bed meds to get ahead of it and also a sleeping tablet and a perscription couple of meds that relax my body

it comes out of nowhere and can go on a couple of nites running then goes away again , i get maybe one episode a month now
I have it constant, Kaz. Even now, I'm shaking my leg as I'm typing. The only time i don't feel it is when I'm moving....and moving is shit when you've had no sleep! haha. Last night was awful...its like i'm climbing the walls. The doctor just tries different meds on me. I have to slowly come off one med to gradually go onto another. I'm coming off Ropinirole and building up the dose of Gabapentin now. Not good.
Are you OK with Valium? You don't want to develop a tolerance to them.

Sounds like something I occasionally have but don't have it often enough to look at trying to resolve it (but I know when I have it).

Seems far less frequent when I don't exercise (for whatever reason, usually illness) as the physical activity tires me out, but that could just be me.

Good luck with this mate - let us know about the acupuncture (I know a few people who use the for various 'things' and report back positively but I've little knowledge on the subject).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.