Retired coppers rant about football fans.

It seems so mate, although for me it's not understandable, they were actually in a BBC programme called 'Money' many years ago (can't even spell my sisters name right btw), I've just checked on there and it's actually £34,000 a year, as anyone can see in this link https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/dec/06/money-tv-review

This is the cleverest man I've ever known in my life, by far, as far as I'm concerned, we're privileged to have him, and people like him, at the cutting edge of science, trying to find answers.
It's really very cool that there are people who give themselves to science. I sometimes read interesting science articles too, but not as often as I'd like. I recently read an article in the U.S. National Library about how the risk of mortality from covids can be reduced to zero. I guess it can't be withheld, whoever wants to see it can look it up here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8541492/

Hiya mate, why sad ?

BTW, I want to be mindful of how I phrase things because it's your Dad S, hopefully you know me enough to know it would never be my intention to be disrespectful or downplay his importance in your life mate.

You see, I would look at that and see it from a very different angle, I'd say, if anything, it was your Dads presence that enhanced the football, not the other way round, football is pretty inconsequential for me there, it could be any sport, or any thing for that matter, your Dad being present and being there for you, for good or bad is what makes it what it is ?

As you know, 'Scientist' is a very broad term that encompasses all sorts, from Maths to Environmental etc etc, there's tons more of them, it doesn't surprise me that 8 million figure worldwide, whereas Football is just one, so I don't think it's too fair a comparison, that's not to say each don't play a significant role, once we go into the finer detail of each one we'd see their relevance and just how important they are.

Not sure where you've got your figures from but that seems way off regarding the top scientist pay, it's a simple Google search from me granted, but in general their annual salary is less than many Premier League Footballers weekly wage, there are Scientists with celebrity status, like Richard Dawkins, showing $10m as his net worth, a quick search shows Stephen Hawking net worth of $20m, Brian Cox £6m, Lionel Messi's shows around $1 Billion, maybe I'm missing something there mate ?

I get the basic economics of supply and demand, I don't blame the footballers on an individual level, if the money's on offer, then they'd be daft not to take it, I just disagree with people who don't see the disparity when it comes to their rtue importance.
David Ho is the highest paid scientist mate, at $96m last year alone.

Then you could always look at the CEO’s/Chairman of the likes of Pfizer (earning $22m), Regeneron ($42m), Vertex ($36m) and so on and so on. And they don’t just have 10-12 year careers either.

Anyway, my point was simply that the very very top of most high end professions see the most ridiculous pay.

Tom Cruise earns $50-60m per year and yet most actors can barely afford their rent every year, only the top Percent or so earn the “good” money.

Hiya mate, why sad ?

BTW, I want to be mindful of how I phrase things because it's your Dad S, hopefully you know me enough to know it would never be my intention to be disrespectful or downplay his importance in your life mate.

You see, I would look at that and see it from a very different angle, I'd say, if anything, it was your Dads presence that enhanced the football, not the other way round, football is pretty inconsequential for me there, it could be any sport, or any thing for that matter, your Dad being present and being there for you, for good or bad is what makes it what it is ?

As you know, 'Scientist' is a very broad term that encompasses all sorts, from Maths to Environmental etc etc, there's tons more of them, it doesn't surprise me that 8 million figure worldwide, whereas Football is just one, so I don't think it's too fair a comparison, that's not to say each don't play a significant role, once we go into the finer detail of each one we'd see their relevance and just how important they are.

Not sure where you've got your figures from but that seems way off regarding the top scientist pay, it's a simple Google search from me granted, but in general their annual salary is less than many Premier League Footballers weekly wage, there are Scientists with celebrity status, like Richard Dawkins, showing $10m as his net worth, a quick search shows Stephen Hawking net worth of $20m, Brian Cox £6m, Lionel Messi's shows around $1 Billion, maybe I'm missing something there mate ?

I get the basic economics of supply and demand, I don't blame the footballers on an individual level, if the money's on offer, then they'd be daft not to take it, I just disagree with people who don't see the disparity when it comes to their rtue importance.
Did you consider the possibility that paying surgeons etc similar amounts to elite footballers may attract people who are more interested in feathering their nest and taking early retirement at, say, 45 with a cool £100m in the bank? That's without telling us where all this extra money is coming from, I don't think any healthcare system - public or private - would survive using that payment model.

Why is it always footballers this is thrown at? They are in the entertainment industry and millions worldwide pay lots of money to watch them do their job. I rarely see this accusation made about actors and pop stars, or the new modern bane of life social influencers.

Should care workers, nurses and surgeons be paid more? Absolutely, but that's not a footballers fault. Maybe big rich companies could start sponsoring the health service, that would bring them great publicity and extra revenue as a result. The sad fact of life is nobody wants to pay to watch these people work, though judging by the amount of medical TV programmes out there you'd think they did.

As for the ex copper he can fuck off. He knew the score before he took the job but because it's fairly well paid and most can retire on a great pension usually early he joined up. What about all the scrotes he had to deal with every day and the drunks in the town centres every weekend? People working in jobs dealing with the public face similar hassle and usually on the minimum wage.

Are we grateful people do these jobs? Yes, but nobody put a gun to their head and forced them to do so.
I watched an 'Edeavour' repeat the other day. Made in the last 3 or 4 years it revolved for a mythical team from Oxford in a lower division. Throughout the narrative was about rich overpaid footballers reinforcing the message.
But this was set in the early 60s shortly after the maximum wage cap was dropped and wages were relatively low especially in the lower divisions.
Never mind it carried on the public perception and no doubt handsomely rewarded most people involved in the TV shows production.

David Ho is the highest paid scientist mate, at $96m last year alone.

Then you could always look at the CEO’s/Chairman of the likes of Pfizer (earning $22m), Regeneron ($42m), Vertex ($36m) and so on and so on. And they don’t just have 10-12 year careers either.

Anyway, my point was simply that the very very top of most high end professions see the most ridiculous pay.

Tom Cruise earns $50-60m per year and yet most actors can barely afford their rent every year, only the top Percent or so earn the “good” money.
Cheers bud, I'd argue at some point they personally ceased being a traditional Scientist as such in that case, certainly in my view, and became more business men (which I don't have an issue with btw) , but it would have been interesting/enlightening to see as to where and what point the major individual financial gains were made ?

The CEO's/Chairmen, I know they will be on good money, but as above, I'd be thinking where did they start making the big financial gains, as purely a Scientist, or once they moved in a more business related direction, I know there's huge amounts in the pharma industry, and I know they're amongst the highest payers, but the annual salary is still nowhere near a premier league average weekly salary.

Yep, I get your point mate.

As I said earlier SWP, I'd level the same to anyone in the entertainment business, I just don't rate their contribution to society as much as others.

Edit, Just had chance to read up a bit about David Ho, and in some ways it's part of the wider point I'm trying to make, he was instrumental in the fight to find an answer to the HIV/AIDS pandemic, for me, that's the type of achievement and contribution to the world that deserves huge financial reward.

Did you consider the possibility that paying surgeons etc similar amounts to elite footballers may attract people who are more interested in feathering their nest and taking early retirement at, say, 45 with a cool £100m in the bank? That's without telling us where all this extra money is coming from, I don't think any healthcare system - public or private - would survive using that payment model.
No I didn't mate, because that's not what I've been saying, or what I've been asking for ;-)

Last edited:
I watched an 'Edeavour' repeat the other day. Made in the last 3 or 4 years it revolved for a mythical team from Oxford in a lower division. Throughout the narrative was about rich overpaid footballers reinforcing the message.
But this was set in the early 60s shortly after the maximum wage cap was dropped and wages were relatively low especially in the lower divisions.
Never mind it carried on the public perception and no doubt handsomely rewarded most people involved in the TV shows production.
I never accept the "anti high-pay argument" against top footballers. They are the best in the world in their profession. Just like world champion boxers, movie stars, Olympic athletes, etc etc. Premier League players lead an industry which creates billions of pounds globally and creates hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of jobs. They are the top of the tree and worth every penny they get. No one complains about how much Bruce Springsteen or Tom Hanks gets paid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.