Retiring abroad

Retirement is a hell of a long way off for me - but in a perfect world, I'd like to pursue a nomadic retirement whereby I rent properties for between 3-6 months and move around. When times are good I could live in southern France or Australia, then perhaps move to South East Asia or Latin America during recessions when my pension/investments aren't performing.

It's called location arbitrage and as I can work remotely I'd be very interested to try it in the not-to-distant future.

Stayed in Langkawi for a couple of months, spent 100 quid in a fortnight and was out every night back in 2010 haha. Lovely place the humidity can wear you down some days though when all you wish for is a deep breath of cold European air.
The temperature is around 32-34 degrees for 95% of the year with a bit of humidity but I think people forget I’ve spent 9 years in a place where it’s 100% humidity AND 42 degrees plus for 4-5 months of the year.

It will be bless relief and then back to the house, pool and beach in South Africa for Christmas (their summer).

The temperature is around 32-34 degrees for 95% of the year with a bit of humidity but I think people forget I’ve spent 9 years in a place where it’s 100% humidity AND 42 degrees plus for 4-5 months of the year.

It will be bless relief and then back to the house, pool and beach in South Africa for Christmas (their summer).

I was building in it after a grim winter in Manc so felt like I was dying every 5 minutes needed a water break haha.

I thought about moving to Bali when I retired which I did a few years ago.
Quite a few Australians live there on their pensions and savings.
However I had to have a prosthetic heart valve implanted a few years ago and now I have to take warfarin everyday to avoid blood clots.
It's might need maintenance as I get older.
I've heard about older people from Australia not receiving very good health care in Indonesia and Thailand and other South East Asian countries, especially heart surgery, so I just discounted it.
These are essentially third world countries and I would only move there if I was in tip top health.
I think a lot of younger people, including me when I was young, don't realise that when you get into your 60s things start deteriorating healthwise and there can be problems.
To be honest I think the energy-sapping humidity around the equator would get to me after a few months so I probably wouldn't have suited me in the long run.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.