Retiring abroad

I had a pretty nomadic 20s early 30s and was sure I would end up living abroad, particularly when I was living with an Aussie girl on the Northern Beaches, Sydney.

However I could not imagine living anywhere else or finding anywhere better to live, and to my surprise it was a place in the UK I knew nothing about or had never visited. Sometimes what you really want is not that far away.

I'm on the Costa Blanca about 10 mins from Villa Martin and either your mate is lying or he's been very unlucky.
There's no more crime here than anywhere else and the illegals situation is soon going to be partly sorted thanks to Brexit.
He has a holiday town house not far from the Commercial Centre, they've had a spate of burglaries during the winter. There's also been some thefts on the golf courses, golfers being warned to be careful. I've not been for about 5 years so it's not my personal opinion, cheers.

He has a holiday town house not far from the Commercial Centre, they've had a spate of burglaries during the winter. There's also been some thefts on the golf courses, golfers being warned to be careful. I've not been for about 5 years so it's not my personal opinion, cheers.
I think the last 14 months have probably seen a slight rise in petty theft and burglaries due to the Covid situation and a lot of people out of work. In normal times this area has always been a very safe one I've found. It's one of the reasons I chose to stay here after living in a few different places in southern Spain and Tenerife.
Hopefully things improve as life gets back to some normality.

I like the idea of buying somewhere in the Dordogne but ultimately do you really want to be abroad into your very old age? Reckon it would be good up until your health deteriorates then you’d want to be back home. Maybe best to invest in a place in the U.K. and use the income from that to fund extended breaks abroad?

I think I’d prefer to live and work abroad now. Brexit makes that more difficult I suppose, but the wife can get an Irish passport and I have Engineering qualifications in great demand across Europe and indeed the world.

I’ve never understood the impulse to voluntarily leave your family, friends and home behind for some Shangri-La in the sun.

I cringe looking at couples on these house-hunting programmes debating the merits of a walk on the beach in the morning, or being close to their grandchildren.

No matter how beautiful the environment you live in, surely being close to your loved ones is a source of much greater happiness and fulfilment!
Some do not have that relationship with family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.