Retiring

Well my time has finally come-25 years service in the police ended yesterday. I lose a small fortune going early but it was a no brainer really-the job has become harder and harder, its far more dangerous and its increasingly thankless and risky.

Its still a great job-unfortunately austerity (May) hammered us along with the rest of the public service-no pay rises in over a decade still grips my sh*t.

Nonetheless, I paid my mortgage off yesterday and I get to retire at 52 on 44% pay.

Well my time has finally come-25 years service in the police ended yesterday. I lose a small fortune going early but it was a no brainer really-the job has become harder and harder, its far more dangerous and its increasingly thankless and risky.

Its still a great job-unfortunately austerity (May) hammered us along with the rest of the public service-no pay rises in over a decade still grips my sh*t.

Nonetheless, I paid my mortgage off yesterday and I get to retire at 52 on 44% pay.
Well done I got out of the CS in my early 50's about 5 years ago.....don't know what I do day to day but I'd have no time to work.

Like I say to everyone else if you can afford it GTFO as soon as possible.

Enjoy your retirement mate, good luck.

Enjoy retirement, you've earnt it.

Well done
My brother did similar in 2018
30 years service and 52 years old

He's just picked up short term contracting work for the council to keep his earnings topped up

images (7).jpeg

I stopped working nearly two years ago, and I bloody love it. I've always hated getting up early in the morning, and I don't have to now. I bought myself a new motorbike, so I've been spending the summers riding that all over Wales or wherever I've fancied going to. I can spend hours when I want to playing my keyboards, which, now the dark nights are with us, and the bike riding has reduced, is an increasing activity. I like walking, and I don't care what the weather is like. Walking, biking, it doesn't matter, it's the wrong clothing that makes it uncomfortable.

The best bit, though, is I'm doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. My activities aren't restricted, my time is my own, and I do what I want, when I want. It's a liberating experience.

I do, of course, realise I'm getting older, and there are more years behind me than ahead, but I'm in a happier place now than I ever was years ago, when I was in a job I detested but endured just for the money.

Yeah, those days of getting up, seeing myself in the mirror, and dreading the day ahead, are long gone.

I might go for a walk tomorrow, I might go for a ride, or I may do nothing other than sit by the window watching the rain come down. It's my choice.

I stopped working nearly two years ago, and I bloody love it. I've always hated getting up early in the morning, and I don't have to now. I bought myself a new motorbike, so I've been spending the summers riding that all over Wales or wherever I've fancied going to. I can spend hours when I want to playing my keyboards, which, now the dark nights are with us, and the bike riding has reduced, is an increasing activity. I like walking, and I don't care what the weather is like. Walking, biking, it doesn't matter, it's the wrong clothing that makes it uncomfortable.

The best bit, though, is I'm doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. My activities aren't restricted, my time is my own, and I do what I want, when I want. It's a liberating experience.

I do, of course, realise I'm getting older, and there are more years behind me than ahead, but I'm in a happier place now than I ever was years ago, when I was in a job I detested but endured just for the money.

Yeah, those days of getting up, seeing myself in the mirror, and dreading the day ahead, are long gone.

I might go for a walk tomorrow, I might go for a ride, or I may do nothing other than sit by the window watching the rain come down. It's my choice.
What bike did you get bud?

You’ll love it... I finished in March and I’ve never been fitter... well, not in my fifties anyway

Congratulations Bert. I finished 13 years ago. Make sure you do something to keep yourself occupied, even if its only voluntary work. I do three mornings a week for SSAFA the military charity, always on the lookout for new volunteers :):)
Keep well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.